May 30, 2012, 6:44 PM EST
And now Doc Rivers? Come on Basketball Gods, show some mercy.
The Celtics have lost four players to season ending surgery and have a couple of key guys dragging injured bodies through the playoffs. And now you can add Doc Rivers to the list, reports the Boston Herald.
Rivers told the Herald he has been diagnosed with a herniated disc and that he took an epidural to relieve the pain.
“It’s been going on for about four weeks,” he said. “I think it was in Game 4 or 5 against Philly that it really got bad, so I just went in and took the shot.”
Doc has always been a players’ coach, but this is really taking things too far. Then again, he was healthy enough to pick up a Game 1 technical.
He may need offseason surgery to fix the problem. But like his players he refuses to use it as an excuse.
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 2
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 16
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 10
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25