May 30, 2012, 6:44 PM EDT
And now Doc Rivers? Come on Basketball Gods, show some mercy.
The Celtics have lost four players to season ending surgery and have a couple of key guys dragging injured bodies through the playoffs. And now you can add Doc Rivers to the list, reports the Boston Herald.
Rivers told the Herald he has been diagnosed with a herniated disc and that he took an epidural to relieve the pain.
“It’s been going on for about four weeks,” he said. “I think it was in Game 4 or 5 against Philly that it really got bad, so I just went in and took the shot.”
Doc has always been a players’ coach, but this is really taking things too far. Then again, he was healthy enough to pick up a Game 1 technical.
He may need offseason surgery to fix the problem. But like his players he refuses to use it as an excuse.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 1
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 1
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 5
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 13
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43