May 29, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
First comes the new general manager. Then comes the decision on Dwight Howard.
The first part of that decision could come by the end of the week, reports magicbasketballonline.com.
A source close to the decision making process within the Orlando Magic organization has informed me that the team is close, and likely to name their new General Manager by the end of the week….
More importantly, my source has also said that the new GM will make the decision on Dwight.
Is there really much of a decision there? Either he commits — which by all reports he is not willing to do — or you have to shop him around. Why would you invite the circus of last season back to town?
As for who gets to make that call? A lot of people have been linked to the job. The biggest names are former Knicks GM Donnie Walsh (who the Knicks said could talk to other teams) and current Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak (who may not have been given that right). Also discussed have been former Hornets GM Jeff Bower, former Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard and current Thunder assistant GM Rob Hennigan.
Whoever gets the job, he better like rebuilding projects.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 1
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 23
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19