May 29, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
The rumor has been the Portland Trail Blazers first choice to fill their permanent general manager seat is one current GM from Los Angeles.
But this is not the one we were thinking of. From the twitter of Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
Also, league sources say Clippers GM Neil Olshey met with Portland owner Paul Allen in London recently about the Blazers’ GM opening.
Olshey seems to come up in a number of GM conversations.
Olshey has done a good job as the head of the Clippers, and not just with the Chris Paul trade or bringing in guys like Caron Butler, Mo Williams and making a trade for Nick Young. His work has been bigger than that — this was a franchise that needed an overhaul of the entire culture and Olshey has been at the heart of that.
Of course, that doesn’t qualify him to get along with Paul Allen.
The Trail Blazers let go of two well-respected GMs — Kevin Pritchard and Rich Cho — and has had the interim Chad Buchanan in that role for nearly a year. He’s done a good job, so the Blazers are now looking for someone else.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61