May 29, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
The rumor has been the Portland Trail Blazers first choice to fill their permanent general manager seat is one current GM from Los Angeles.
But this is not the one we were thinking of. From the twitter of Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
Also, league sources say Clippers GM Neil Olshey met with Portland owner Paul Allen in London recently about the Blazers’ GM opening.
Olshey seems to come up in a number of GM conversations.
Olshey has done a good job as the head of the Clippers, and not just with the Chris Paul trade or bringing in guys like Caron Butler, Mo Williams and making a trade for Nick Young. His work has been bigger than that — this was a franchise that needed an overhaul of the entire culture and Olshey has been at the heart of that.
Of course, that doesn’t qualify him to get along with Paul Allen.
The Trail Blazers let go of two well-respected GMs — Kevin Pritchard and Rich Cho — and has had the interim Chad Buchanan in that role for nearly a year. He’s done a good job, so the Blazers are now looking for someone else.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31