May 29, 2012, 11:47 AM EST
If you are going to beat the Heat, you have to turn them into jump shooters. If Dwyane Wade and LeBron James are getting dunks and layups you are in trouble. Even Ronny Turiaf makes his dunks. You have to push them out away from the hoop.
Boston didn’t do that in Game 1, Miami got in the lane and did what they wanted. The Heat had 42 points in the paint. Wade showed off his floater, LeBron worked from the post, the pair drove all the way to the rim off the bounce, cutters were diving down the lane all game.
“Nothing dirty,” Rondo said… “but they have to hit the deck, too.”
He was not the only guy talking about bringing a little of the Pacers series back to the Heat.
It’s a good theory, but….
First, Wade and particularly LeBron take the contact and still score as well as any players in the league. You don’t want to give them a lot of and-1 opportunities. Then there is the fact you’re risking foul trouble for key guys.
I think we’ll see a closer game, I think we’ll see more Greg Stiemsma, I think we’ll see the Celtics hold and grab and do everything they can to disrupt the Heat on offense. The Celtics will even got to some zone, which they surprisingly rolled out in the fourth quarter. They will again try to grind the game down to a halt.
But I’m still not sold that will be enough.
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 0
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 6
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 7
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 2
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 7
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)