May 29, 2012, 11:47 AM EDT
If you are going to beat the Heat, you have to turn them into jump shooters. If Dwyane Wade and LeBron James are getting dunks and layups you are in trouble. Even Ronny Turiaf makes his dunks. You have to push them out away from the hoop.
Boston didn’t do that in Game 1, Miami got in the lane and did what they wanted. The Heat had 42 points in the paint. Wade showed off his floater, LeBron worked from the post, the pair drove all the way to the rim off the bounce, cutters were diving down the lane all game.
“Nothing dirty,” Rondo said… “but they have to hit the deck, too.”
He was not the only guy talking about bringing a little of the Pacers series back to the Heat.
It’s a good theory, but….
First, Wade and particularly LeBron take the contact and still score as well as any players in the league. You don’t want to give them a lot of and-1 opportunities. Then there is the fact you’re risking foul trouble for key guys.
I think we’ll see a closer game, I think we’ll see more Greg Stiemsma, I think we’ll see the Celtics hold and grab and do everything they can to disrupt the Heat on offense. The Celtics will even got to some zone, which they surprisingly rolled out in the fourth quarter. They will again try to grind the game down to a halt.
But I’m still not sold that will be enough.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30