May 29, 2012, 11:47 AM EDT
If you are going to beat the Heat, you have to turn them into jump shooters. If Dwyane Wade and LeBron James are getting dunks and layups you are in trouble. Even Ronny Turiaf makes his dunks. You have to push them out away from the hoop.
Boston didn’t do that in Game 1, Miami got in the lane and did what they wanted. The Heat had 42 points in the paint. Wade showed off his floater, LeBron worked from the post, the pair drove all the way to the rim off the bounce, cutters were diving down the lane all game.
“Nothing dirty,” Rondo said… “but they have to hit the deck, too.”
He was not the only guy talking about bringing a little of the Pacers series back to the Heat.
It’s a good theory, but….
First, Wade and particularly LeBron take the contact and still score as well as any players in the league. You don’t want to give them a lot of and-1 opportunities. Then there is the fact you’re risking foul trouble for key guys.
I think we’ll see a closer game, I think we’ll see more Greg Stiemsma, I think we’ll see the Celtics hold and grab and do everything they can to disrupt the Heat on offense. The Celtics will even got to some zone, which they surprisingly rolled out in the fourth quarter. They will again try to grind the game down to a halt.
But I’m still not sold that will be enough.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 8
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 18
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6