May 29, 2012, 9:25 PM EDT
Most NBA players watch fewer NBA games on television than you do. Seriously. By far. They watch a lot of game in person in the arena, obviously. They watch tapes of games.
But they don’t really sit around their home or hotel room glued to the television, listening to the broadcasters, as often as we do. So the idea that Sports Illustrated asked them (124 players as part of their annual players poll) about their favorite announcers should come with a warning. (Hat tip to Ball Don’t Lie for finding this.)
Still, there are good choices on the list. And really, the top three are fine, although you can argue that Barkley is a broadcaster not an announcer.
1. Charles Barkley
2. Jeff Van Gundy
3. Steve Kerr
4. Reggie Miller
5. Mike Breen
6. Hubbie Brown
7. Marv Albert
8. Bill Walton
9. Shaquille O’Neal
10. Walt Frazier
11. Tommy Heinsohn
12. Chris Webber
13. Craig Sager
14. George Blaha
15. Mark Jackson
Reggie Miller is terrible. Honestly, I often mute him. I learn nothing. Van Gundy can be over the top but he’s got good insights. Kerr is vanilla but solid (same with Breen). Miller isn’t clever or insightful.
Hubbie Brown is god.
Bill Walton hasn’t broadcast in years. Remember my note above how guys don’t really watch many broadcast games? There you go. Same with Mark Jackson, who isn’t a broadcaster but the coach of the Warriors now. Although I love that he coaches so I don’t have to listen to his broadcasts.
Shaq? He’s an anchor on the fun Inside the NBA show. But I’ll cut the players some slack because they put the entertaining (not just his suits) Walt Frazier and long-time Pistons guy George Blaha on there.
I would have voted for Chick Hearn. He broadcast as many games as Mark Jackson last year, so why not?
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49