May 29, 2012, 9:25 PM EDT
Most NBA players watch fewer NBA games on television than you do. Seriously. By far. They watch a lot of game in person in the arena, obviously. They watch tapes of games.
But they don’t really sit around their home or hotel room glued to the television, listening to the broadcasters, as often as we do. So the idea that Sports Illustrated asked them (124 players as part of their annual players poll) about their favorite announcers should come with a warning. (Hat tip to Ball Don’t Lie for finding this.)
Still, there are good choices on the list. And really, the top three are fine, although you can argue that Barkley is a broadcaster not an announcer.
1. Charles Barkley
2. Jeff Van Gundy
3. Steve Kerr
4. Reggie Miller
5. Mike Breen
6. Hubbie Brown
7. Marv Albert
8. Bill Walton
9. Shaquille O’Neal
10. Walt Frazier
11. Tommy Heinsohn
12. Chris Webber
13. Craig Sager
14. George Blaha
15. Mark Jackson
Reggie Miller is terrible. Honestly, I often mute him. I learn nothing. Van Gundy can be over the top but he’s got good insights. Kerr is vanilla but solid (same with Breen). Miller isn’t clever or insightful.
Hubbie Brown is god.
Bill Walton hasn’t broadcast in years. Remember my note above how guys don’t really watch many broadcast games? There you go. Same with Mark Jackson, who isn’t a broadcaster but the coach of the Warriors now. Although I love that he coaches so I don’t have to listen to his broadcasts.
Shaq? He’s an anchor on the fun Inside the NBA show. But I’ll cut the players some slack because they put the entertaining (not just his suits) Walt Frazier and long-time Pistons guy George Blaha on there.
I would have voted for Chick Hearn. He broadcast as many games as Mark Jackson last year, so why not?
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 2
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 19
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 20
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25