List of players’ favorite announcers: Chuck? Fine. Reggie? No.

May 29, 2012, 9:25 PM EDT

DOVE Men+Care And Shaquille O'Neal Are Bringing His "Journey To Comfort" To NCAA Final Four Weekend By Caring For The Boys And Girls Club Of Southeast Louisiana - Day 1 Getty Images

Most NBA players watch fewer NBA games on television than you do. Seriously. By far. They watch a lot of game in person in the arena, obviously. They watch tapes of games.

But they don’t really sit around their home or hotel room glued to the television, listening to the broadcasters, as often as we do. So the idea that Sports Illustrated asked them (124 players as part of their annual players poll) about their favorite announcers should come with a warning. (Hat tip to Ball Don’t Lie for finding this.)

Still, there are good choices on the list. And really, the top three are fine, although you can argue that Barkley is a broadcaster not an announcer.

1. Charles Barkley
10. Walt Frazier
11. Tommy Heinsohn
12. Chris Webber
13. Craig Sager
14. George Blaha
15. Mark Jackson

Reggie Miller is terrible. Honestly, I often mute him. I learn nothing. Van Gundy can be over the top but he’s got good insights. Kerr is vanilla but solid (same with Breen). Miller isn’t clever or insightful.

Hubbie Brown is god.

Bill Walton hasn’t broadcast in years. Remember my note above how guys don’t really watch many broadcast games? There you go. Same with Mark Jackson, who isn’t a broadcaster but the coach of the Warriors now. Although I love that he coaches so I don’t have to listen to his broadcasts.

Shaq? He’s an anchor on the fun Inside the NBA show. But I’ll cut the players some slack because they put the entertaining (not just his suits) Walt Frazier and long-time Pistons guy George Blaha on there.

I would have voted for Chick Hearn. He broadcast as many games as Mark Jackson last year, so why not?

1. vexey - May 29, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Chris Webber is one of the best, definitely better than most of the top 5

2. phaden27 - May 29, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Jackson below Sager? Ouch.
    Also, wheres Kevin Harlan?

3. cakemixa - May 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Anyone know why the hell Reggie Miller is part of the TNT A-team? Should be Webber.

4. cosanostra71 - May 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM

the fact that Marv Albert isn’t #1 is a crime IMO.

• Justin - May 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Do I like Marv Albert? Let Marv Albert answer that question:

• cosanostra71 - May 29, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Guess I’m the only Marv fan on here. Gotta love the guy- he bites his hookers and dgaf.

5. flipisatrip - May 29, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Steve Kerr is a clown, just not very enjoyable.

to me, it’s JVG and Hubbie… Then maybe Harlan. I’m also a Doris fan.

• digitalpoo - May 30, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Doris…. Ew.

• 00maltliquor - May 30, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Double ewww…

6. Justin - May 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM

“Hubbie Brown is god.”

He is by far my favorite.

7. michaelbot1 - May 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Ian Eagle is the best in the business

8. duane888 - May 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Reggie Miller just sounds gay with his lisp. It’s annoying to listen to. Thank god for commercials so i can get a break.

9. cullenand99 - May 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Van Gundy has got to be my favorite. Whenever I see or hear him I am reminded of the time he hung on to Alonzo Mourning’s leg for dear life. Still can’t think about that image without laughing.

• cosanostra71 - May 29, 2012 at 11:11 PM

10. bestcoastinfluence - May 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Charles is a little overrated, but still the best. Kerr is underrated, he may be a little bland but he is solid. Webber (and Jalen Rose) are garbage!

11. pellypell - May 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Kurt Helin, no Tommy Points for you!

12. pudgalvin - May 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I’ll turn off non bulls game if Reggie is calling it. Hubie brown can get a little annoying sometimes. He knows his stuff but I don’t need every single move on the court analyzed for 48 minutes.

13. Gordon - May 29, 2012 at 10:32 PM

If it’s really about calling games, this list should be Marv & Hubie. The rest are garbage.

When Doug Collins has a nervous breakdown & gets fired by the 76ers next year, he will be 3rd on the list.

14. jameswestphal - May 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM

You guys seriously need to stop allowing illiterate third graders write stories on this site.

15. dal24la - May 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I’m SO happy Mark Jackson is gone, he was the king of “most annoying phrases” and “most overused phrases” imo…

• jjordannba - May 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM

MAMA!!!…..There goes that man!

• dal24la - May 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I doubt he has had to say that much about any of his own players with Curry injured and Ellis gone lol.

• meroyero - May 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM

imagine how many times his players have to hear him say “hand down, man down”

• dal24la - May 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM

That would inspire me too never have my hands down personally lol

16. charlutes - May 29, 2012 at 11:19 PM

My number 1 and 2 basketball talkers by a landslide are Jeff Van Gundy and Jalen Rose. And yes, I’m aware that Jalen is in the booth.

• david0303 - May 30, 2012 at 3:29 AM

i used to like jalen more, but after he got completely owned by steven a smith and sounded like an absolute idiot i lost some respect for him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kK1Le3W2N4

17. scalfor3 - May 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM

“WALTAH McCARTAY!!!!!”

18. sweetnlow44 - May 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Wait, why didn’t Doris Burke make the list? Oh yeah, that’s right, because she’s by far the most annoying person to listen to EVER. Call me sexist, I don’t care, but it just isn’t right when a woman calls a men’s game. WNBA, fine. But not NBA. I can’t watch more than a minute of a game that she’s calling.

19. mydadyourmom - May 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Hahaha McCarty.

20. anarchopurplism - May 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Favorite studio analysts: Jalen Rose, Kenny Smith and Barkley. Shaq….no thanks.

Favorite On-court analysts: Doug Collins & Hubie Brown. Gundy a distant 3rd and Steve Kerr is okay. Reggie Miller…..not so much.

Favorite Play-by-play: tough call between Marv and Harlan

21. 00maltliquor - May 30, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Chick Hearn #1 of all time, hands down the GOAT.

22. ishudbgm - May 30, 2012 at 2:31 AM

It blows my mind that Hubie Brown is not number 1, 2, & 3 on the top of this list. I often watch boring games just to learn something from him. Kinda reminds me of Dr Jack Ramsey.

23. passerby23 - May 30, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Marv Albert? Yes. Hubie Brown? No! Great coach, terrible announcer. Everything he says is incredibly obvious to the viewer.

Kevin Harlan is up there. Not on any of these networks, but Dick Enberg might be my all-time favorite announcer.

Reggie Miller is awful. Steve Kerr is decent. Mike Breen is good, but not a great lead announcer for the Finals. ABC’s packaging of the NBA is far inferior overall to what the NBA on NBC gave us. Bring it back!

24. bullsrgreat1 - May 30, 2012 at 9:16 AM

“to big to fast to strong” stacey king….he should be in top ten

25. toddm1016 - May 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I think it’s Hubie

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches