Dennis Rodman sentenced to 104 hours community service

May 29, 2012, 5:33 PM EST

Dennis Rodman AP

UPDATE 5:33 pm: As expected Dennis Rodman was sentenced only to community service — 104 hours of it. But that’s all on four counts of contempt of court, part of his missing child support payments.

Rodman also is on informal probation and was told he needs to keep up on his child support payments, which are $4,500 a month.

“My suggestion is to use your talents as a motivator, as a fine, fine athlete and as a fine person to assist others in need,” Michaelson told the retired basketball player.

1:57 pm: Remember the whole “Dennis Rodman is broke” wait “no he isn’t” stuff from earlier this year? What that really was about was contempt of court cases against the former NBA star for failing to pay back child support (his lawyer was trying to make him look broke).

Well that comes to a head Tuesday when Rodman will be sentenced in Orange County, California. From the AP:

The retired professional basketball player will likely face a sentence of community service, said Mary Ann Noiroux, an attorney for Rodman’s ex-wife Michelle. He could also be ordered to pay more than $800,000 in back child support, Noiroux said.

”For somebody like that, they could even have him help out with a Boys and Girls Club teaching basketball,” she said.

So likely no jail time. Unless he misses future payments, then all bets are off. But missing child support payments in the first place says really all you need to know. Rodman is supposed to pay $4,500 a month is child and spousal support, but reportedly is also being weighed down by extensive back taxes

1. toegoat - May 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I used to love watching the worm hoop but having my kids around him is another story.

2. obamablowz - May 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Will this guy just overdose already

• soflasfinest - May 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Realllly? U scumbag.

• obamablowz - May 30, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Yes….Really

3. onereasonableman - May 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Just what this world needs… Dennis Rodman helping out at a Boys and Girls Club. Hillarious!

4. censoredpost - May 29, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Whats Funny is the amount of $ these guys pay in support. Then the career ends and the support stays the same. Like a wound that won’t close eventually you bleed out. My Dad paid $300 a month, some of these kids moms have seen millions. Millions that these kids will never know because its spent on the same dumb sh*t as when they were married to the Baller. What is it 68% of NBA’ers go broke by 50…Sad.

• dacapt704 - May 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM

so true…sure they can afford that while playing but what about when they are done? What kind of amendment is done? Probaly not much….to the average person we dont understand but think of it like this—a man is used to making $4Mill a year so his bills are $2Mill a year then he retires and gets a job on tv making $300K/ a year. Thats a great salary to most of us but thats a HUGE pay cut and the salary doesnt equal the bills, thus the hole is created

Im not saying we should have sympathy but before you diss em and call them all dumb, place urself in that scenario for a minute. You can say that you would live like a normal person if you made all that money but in reality YOU DON’T KNOW..u CAN’T know until ur in that position… we all live how we live now based off what we earn. If we earned more, we’d live better..period

• vanmorrissey - May 29, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Why on God’s Earth would we put ourselves in their position? I mean, really, who gives a crap about the holes they put themselves in? Jeez, enablers like you have pity on these people who, oh by the way, screw it up themselves, that’s it, no one else to blame. They’ve lived and played in front of the best crowds on Earth, they get paid more than anywhere else in the world, why, explain it again, we should put ourselves in their shoes? That’s a sorry statement, and quite stupid. Don’t cry for any of them at all, let them see their way through just like the rest of society. They’ve been enabled by people their whole lives and now it comes time to pay, tough, get over it.

• duane888 - May 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM

@ vanmorrissey

It’s not about enabling. It’s understanding that sports has a business side to it, and unfortunately alot of these broke athletes never bothered with “Finance 101″ in college (if they even went or stayed and graduated).

• jpage1 - May 30, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I have no problem dissing them and calling them dumb. I also had a job where I made more than I spent, and bought a house in 1997. I didn’t go by a million dollar house when I could have and was able to still sell my house when the market crashed, and still made money. I also was able to save, since I made more than I spent, and when my company folded I significantly reduced my spending, including taking one car and garaging it, eating beans, rice, etc. Now I have a new job and I still spend less than I make and save the rest.

I have zero sympathy for any idiot that cannot become rich, making 4mil/year and then has a tv job at 300k.

5. mrsulldog - May 29, 2012 at 4:29 PM

is he too old to play fight again? maybe TNA will hire him full time

6. davidcl77 - May 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM

He’s a freak. He and his dresses, nose rings, etc. Just go away and stay.

• trueballs - May 29, 2012 at 6:16 PM

He had 40-something immediate or half siblings, no father, lived in the Dallas projects/racist Texas, went from rags to riches, became one of the best rebounders and defenders in NBA history….yup normal life….why can’t he be just as normal as you, @davidcl77?

Of course, there have been pro athletes with comparably bad upbringings that have “gotten their act together”, but let’s be realistic and recognize that as an achievement. You’re probably the kind of fan who always hated him no matter how brilliant his game was

7. diablito0402 - May 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM

You make 4 mill a year, say you play 8 years thats 32 mill, buy a 1.4 million dollar house and a 500k beach house somewhere, about 5 cars which adds to about 3 million and your set 4 life, if you dig yourself a hole with 32 million then yea you are an idiot..

• southbeachtalent - May 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM

hahahahahahaha

500k beach house?? (What planet)

about 5 cars? (can you say depreciation)

• genericcommenter - May 30, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I grew up on a beach, a nice one. Some celebs vacation there but not too many. Mostly a family town. You could get several houses for 500k before the place was over run with Wall Street types and developers who raised property taxes and ran all the families off a decade or so ago. Since they built several projects that never sold in their rush to flip million dollar condos, I’m sure you could find plenty of sub 500k beach houses there now.

I can still think of plenty of nice laid back beach towns/areas that have retained their culture and are affordable. Beaches exist outside of areas where celebs and wannabes gather to have their pictures taken and show off their baubles. To me, the purpose of the beach is relaxation and a laid back lifestyle.

• duane888 - May 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Per your example, when you make that kind of money, over 1/2 goes to Uncle Sam. So you don’t have 32 mil to spend. And if you don’t pay them what they are owed, penalties and fees can make you owe them more than you made to begin with.

Remember, athletes are paid for their physical prowess, not for their brains.

8. ncarolinarn7 - May 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Move to Denmark or somewhere else??

9. psgrlinco - May 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but in child support cases, if at any time the payee has a change in income, they can go before a judge and have it reduced. So if he’s still paying it, it’s because he still has it to pay.

10. morgan420 - May 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Spouse support thats farrago
    Total garbage. Why should anyone have to pay that, it doesent make since. Belive me if I we’re rich I either A: wouldn’t get married or B: the woman has to sign a prenup. Probably just go with A to be safe

• southbeachtalent - May 29, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Yea, A sounds better.

11. koloofai - May 30, 2012 at 6:29 AM

No excuses, we average Joe blogs have to learn how to save for a rainy day, so why can’t pro athletes. It’s not rocket science

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches