May 29, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:33 pm: As expected Dennis Rodman was sentenced only to community service — 104 hours of it. But that’s all on four counts of contempt of court, part of his missing child support payments.
Rodman also is on informal probation and was told he needs to keep up on his child support payments, which are $4,500 a month.
“My suggestion is to use your talents as a motivator, as a fine, fine athlete and as a fine person to assist others in need,” Michaelson told the retired basketball player.
1:57 pm: Remember the whole “Dennis Rodman is broke” wait “no he isn’t” stuff from earlier this year? What that really was about was contempt of court cases against the former NBA star for failing to pay back child support (his lawyer was trying to make him look broke).
Well that comes to a head Tuesday when Rodman will be sentenced in Orange County, California. From the AP:
The retired professional basketball player will likely face a sentence of community service, said Mary Ann Noiroux, an attorney for Rodman’s ex-wife Michelle. He could also be ordered to pay more than $800,000 in back child support, Noiroux said.
”For somebody like that, they could even have him help out with a Boys and Girls Club teaching basketball,” she said.
So likely no jail time. Unless he misses future payments, then all bets are off. But missing child support payments in the first place says really all you need to know. Rodman is supposed to pay $4,500 a month is child and spousal support, but reportedly is also being weighed down by extensive back taxes
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 8
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31