May 29, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:33 pm: As expected Dennis Rodman was sentenced only to community service — 104 hours of it. But that’s all on four counts of contempt of court, part of his missing child support payments.
Rodman also is on informal probation and was told he needs to keep up on his child support payments, which are $4,500 a month.
“My suggestion is to use your talents as a motivator, as a fine, fine athlete and as a fine person to assist others in need,” Michaelson told the retired basketball player.
1:57 pm: Remember the whole “Dennis Rodman is broke” wait “no he isn’t” stuff from earlier this year? What that really was about was contempt of court cases against the former NBA star for failing to pay back child support (his lawyer was trying to make him look broke).
Well that comes to a head Tuesday when Rodman will be sentenced in Orange County, California. From the AP:
The retired professional basketball player will likely face a sentence of community service, said Mary Ann Noiroux, an attorney for Rodman’s ex-wife Michelle. He could also be ordered to pay more than $800,000 in back child support, Noiroux said.
”For somebody like that, they could even have him help out with a Boys and Girls Club teaching basketball,” she said.
So likely no jail time. Unless he misses future payments, then all bets are off. But missing child support payments in the first place says really all you need to know. Rodman is supposed to pay $4,500 a month is child and spousal support, but reportedly is also being weighed down by extensive back taxes
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final