May 29, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:33 pm: As expected Dennis Rodman was sentenced only to community service — 104 hours of it. But that’s all on four counts of contempt of court, part of his missing child support payments.
Rodman also is on informal probation and was told he needs to keep up on his child support payments, which are $4,500 a month.
“My suggestion is to use your talents as a motivator, as a fine, fine athlete and as a fine person to assist others in need,” Michaelson told the retired basketball player.
1:57 pm: Remember the whole “Dennis Rodman is broke” wait “no he isn’t” stuff from earlier this year? What that really was about was contempt of court cases against the former NBA star for failing to pay back child support (his lawyer was trying to make him look broke).
Well that comes to a head Tuesday when Rodman will be sentenced in Orange County, California. From the AP:
The retired professional basketball player will likely face a sentence of community service, said Mary Ann Noiroux, an attorney for Rodman’s ex-wife Michelle. He could also be ordered to pay more than $800,000 in back child support, Noiroux said.
”For somebody like that, they could even have him help out with a Boys and Girls Club teaching basketball,” she said.
So likely no jail time. Unless he misses future payments, then all bets are off. But missing child support payments in the first place says really all you need to know. Rodman is supposed to pay $4,500 a month is child and spousal support, but reportedly is also being weighed down by extensive back taxes
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2