May 28, 2012, 3:04 PM EDT
There is something fitting about the aging powerhouse Celtics taking on the new team on the block, the Heat, for the right to go to the NBA finals. Sure, the Heat were there last year but this feels like a “passing the torch” moment.
Which Wade gets but then says something odd about it. From the Boston Globe.
“Inevitable. It’s the matchup the game of basketball wants,” Wade said Sunday afternoon….
Added Heat coach Erik Spoelstra: “Was there any doubt that it’d be us and Boston?”
Inevitable? Derrick Rose and the Bulls would beg to disagree. Which Wade added quickly.
“Obviously, with the Chicago Bulls being out, this is the biggest matchup the Eastern Conference can have. So we accept the challenge and we look forward to the series.”
The Bulls were a legitimate threat to the Heat, but when Rose made a jump stop and his ACL didn’t stop as fast, that threat was over. From there you could see a path for the Celtics to make it to the Eastern Conference finals.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20