May 28, 2012, 3:04 PM EST
There is something fitting about the aging powerhouse Celtics taking on the new team on the block, the Heat, for the right to go to the NBA finals. Sure, the Heat were there last year but this feels like a “passing the torch” moment.
Which Wade gets but then says something odd about it. From the Boston Globe.
“Inevitable. It’s the matchup the game of basketball wants,” Wade said Sunday afternoon….
Added Heat coach Erik Spoelstra: “Was there any doubt that it’d be us and Boston?”
Inevitable? Derrick Rose and the Bulls would beg to disagree. Which Wade added quickly.
“Obviously, with the Chicago Bulls being out, this is the biggest matchup the Eastern Conference can have. So we accept the challenge and we look forward to the series.”
The Bulls were a legitimate threat to the Heat, but when Rose made a jump stop and his ACL didn’t stop as fast, that threat was over. From there you could see a path for the Celtics to make it to the Eastern Conference finals.
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 4
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 10
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 5
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’ 15
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 18