May 28, 2012, 3:04 PM EST
There is something fitting about the aging powerhouse Celtics taking on the new team on the block, the Heat, for the right to go to the NBA finals. Sure, the Heat were there last year but this feels like a “passing the torch” moment.
Which Wade gets but then says something odd about it. From the Boston Globe.
“Inevitable. It’s the matchup the game of basketball wants,” Wade said Sunday afternoon….
Added Heat coach Erik Spoelstra: “Was there any doubt that it’d be us and Boston?”
Inevitable? Derrick Rose and the Bulls would beg to disagree. Which Wade added quickly.
“Obviously, with the Chicago Bulls being out, this is the biggest matchup the Eastern Conference can have. So we accept the challenge and we look forward to the series.”
The Bulls were a legitimate threat to the Heat, but when Rose made a jump stop and his ACL didn’t stop as fast, that threat was over. From there you could see a path for the Celtics to make it to the Eastern Conference finals.
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 0
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 7
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 7
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 8
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 41
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54