May 28, 2012, 3:04 PM EDT
There is something fitting about the aging powerhouse Celtics taking on the new team on the block, the Heat, for the right to go to the NBA finals. Sure, the Heat were there last year but this feels like a “passing the torch” moment.
Which Wade gets but then says something odd about it. From the Boston Globe.
“Inevitable. It’s the matchup the game of basketball wants,” Wade said Sunday afternoon….
Added Heat coach Erik Spoelstra: “Was there any doubt that it’d be us and Boston?”
Inevitable? Derrick Rose and the Bulls would beg to disagree. Which Wade added quickly.
“Obviously, with the Chicago Bulls being out, this is the biggest matchup the Eastern Conference can have. So we accept the challenge and we look forward to the series.”
The Bulls were a legitimate threat to the Heat, but when Rose made a jump stop and his ACL didn’t stop as fast, that threat was over. From there you could see a path for the Celtics to make it to the Eastern Conference finals.
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 20
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 25
- Kevin Durant: Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan are greatest of all time 61
- LeBron James becomes Obamacare pitchman 38
- Report: Houston Rockets to pursue Carmelo Anthony this summer 31