May 28, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
We told you this was coming at the same time that Kyle Lowry sounded like a guy who didn’t like his coach and wanted out of Houston — the team would deny this is the case. They have to. You can’t get value trading a guy who everyone knows wants out and you want to move.
So, let the “he can get along with the coach” and trade denials begin. Take it away, Houston Chronicle.
Rockets general manager Daryl Morey knew of Lowry’s feelings, but when he discussed them on Friday, he immediately pointed to the competitiveness that McHale and Lowry share. In many ways, they are alike as athletes, playing with a fire and intelligence about the game that elevates them as players.
Lowry might not think so, but with time, they could grow to appreciate that about one another, as McHale eventually grew to appreciate Bill Fitch.
While Lowry left the door open a crack saying issues could be addressed between him and Kevin McHale, nobody really thinks that is the case. He’s going to get shopped around. The obvious first thought is in a package for the Lakers that brings Pau Gasol to Houston (they still covet him).
But there are other teams interested in Lowry, too. From the Toronto Sun.
The Raptors are extremely high on Lowry, so there is little doubt – despite Morey’s desire to keep Lowry in the fold – that he and Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo will discuss a Lowry deal.
There will be a few other GMs calling up Morey as well. Just about every team in the league could use a borderline All-Star point guard.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 10
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 17
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3