May 28, 2012, 12:12 PM EST
We told you this was coming at the same time that Kyle Lowry sounded like a guy who didn’t like his coach and wanted out of Houston — the team would deny this is the case. They have to. You can’t get value trading a guy who everyone knows wants out and you want to move.
So, let the “he can get along with the coach” and trade denials begin. Take it away, Houston Chronicle.
Rockets general manager Daryl Morey knew of Lowry’s feelings, but when he discussed them on Friday, he immediately pointed to the competitiveness that McHale and Lowry share. In many ways, they are alike as athletes, playing with a fire and intelligence about the game that elevates them as players.
Lowry might not think so, but with time, they could grow to appreciate that about one another, as McHale eventually grew to appreciate Bill Fitch.
While Lowry left the door open a crack saying issues could be addressed between him and Kevin McHale, nobody really thinks that is the case. He’s going to get shopped around. The obvious first thought is in a package for the Lakers that brings Pau Gasol to Houston (they still covet him).
But there are other teams interested in Lowry, too. From the Toronto Sun.
The Raptors are extremely high on Lowry, so there is little doubt – despite Morey’s desire to keep Lowry in the fold – that he and Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo will discuss a Lowry deal.
There will be a few other GMs calling up Morey as well. Just about every team in the league could use a borderline All-Star point guard.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City canceled 1
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 23
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)