May 28, 2012, 9:49 PM EDT
Ramon Sessions spent the first five-and-a-half years in the NBA’s small markets — Milwaukee, Minnesota, Cleveland (post LeBron era). It means half-empty arenas, meaningless games (Sessions didn’t see the playoffs his first five years) and some level of anonymity.
Then he got traded to the Lakers.
ESPN’s John Hollinger once said that Lakers players don’t know what it’s like to be in the NBA, their world is so different. Sessions told Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld that is basically true.
“I was staying in a hotel right by the practice facility at first and I would see some fans waiting out back when I left,” Sessions said. “One time, I parked in the front of the hotel and started walking down the hallway. The next thing I know, there are five fans running after me in the hallway. It was crazy. They came out of nowhere and they were coming at me. I was just thinking, ‘What is going on?’”
“Nobody knows what its like,” Sessions said with a laugh. “People may think they know, but they don’t have any idea how much different it is to be a Laker. No disrespect to the other places that I’ve been, but it’s totally different out here. Even just walking around, it’s crazy. It’s the Lakers. You’re on T.V. every night and everyone knows who you are. I had paparazzi follow me. That’s a first, for sure. It’s wild out here. The Lakers are the show that everyone watches around here.”
It’s not just the Lakers. Boston, New York, Chicago, Miami right now all get this rock star treatment.
But it’s a long way from Milwaukee on a Tuesday in January.
We’ll see if Sessions gets the rock-star treatment next year, he’s a free agent and the Lakers have some decisions to make. Interesting ones after he struggled in the playoffs.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49