Duncan makes it clear he is not leaving Spurs after season

May 28, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT

Spurs center Duncan scores on Oklahoma City Thunder small forward Durant in San Antonio, Texas Reuters

Not that you really had any doubt…

Tim Duncan will be a free agent come July 1, and after his rebound performance this season and through the playoffs, a few teams around the league would have interest if they could get him at a fair price.

Don’t bother.

Here is what Duncan told Johnny Ludden in a fantastic interview at Yahoo Sports.

“Though I shouldn’t say that; I have to threaten them that I’ll leave,” he joked. “No … I’m not going anywhere. You can print that wherever you want to. I’m here and I’m a Spur for life.”

Duncan thinks he has another year or two left in his old knees, he changed his diet and dropped 20 pounds and is now moving better than he has in years. He’s revitalized, as his 16 and 11 in Game 1 testified to. He does not carry the Spurs offense anymore, but he is still a threat you have to respect.

And he may be for another couple years.

1. mytthor - May 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM

He may not carry their offense anymore, but he can do so for a quarter, and he does the same with the defense. Defensively, he’s KG without all the posturing.

2. raidmagic - May 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Love him…true class act…lots of players could and should learn from this guy …you listening Dwight?

• florida727 - May 29, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Well said. basketball-reference.com shows that Duncan has earned nearly $205 million in salary throughout his career to-date. Clearly he understands that a) he has enough money, and b) his legacy will always be one of loyalty and selflessness by finishing his career with San Antonio. I say good for him. “raidmagic” targets Howard with his comment, and rightfully so, but there are a LOT of players that could learn from guys like Duncan. Here’s hoping they do.

3. funktron2x - May 28, 2012 at 3:23 PM

If everyone returns to this current spurs team, they will contend and be dangerous like now for at least one more season. Plus, they have a ton of money to play around with thanks to ditching jefferson and all the cheap young labor. Nasty indeed. And Kawhi Leonard is going to be a star. A quiet, unheralded one like those who come before him.

4. themohel - May 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM

This guy Duncan just goes about things the right way. I’m a Bulls fan who would love a guy like him on my team; but he is a Spur and I really hope he stays there ’til he’s done. Tim Duncan is a rare thing in sports – a teachable example to use when raising kids.

• kavika6 - May 29, 2012 at 2:30 AM

He had a great example of his own in David Robinson. He was (is) another incredible example of humility, dedication and loyalty. I hope Duncan sticks around San Antonio after his playing career like Robinson, Elliott, Ice Man and Malik Rose.

• themohel - May 29, 2012 at 9:32 AM

great point about The Admiral

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches