May 28, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
People don’t want to hear it, but Allen Iverson’s time in the NBA is done. Maybe if a couple years ago he had not been a cancer in Memphis and Philly, if he had been able to accept a reserve role and be a sixth/seventh man, he might be coming off a bench on a good team right now. Might. His skills were eroding and he’s had injuries. But he didn’t accept that role then.
All of it combined means GMs are not giving him another chance at the expense of a young player who can be groomed for the future.
Which has brought up the silly rumors that the Knicks were going to go after Iverson. From the New York Post.
But The Post has learned Iverson is one CAA client the Knicks won’t pursue, deeming it too big a gamble. The mercurial 76ers great appeared in Philadelphia on Wednesday for his former team’s Game 6 against the Celtics and told a national TV audience: “I want to play basketball so bad.”
Knicks coach Mike Woodson was on Larry Brown’s Sixers staff for two seasons coaching Iverson, 36, who last played in Turkey in 2010-11.
The Knicks are a team that needs guards, that will be without Iman Shumpert to start the season (due to his ACL) and we have no idea who is running the point.
And they are not taking a shot on Iverson.
Iverson even seemed to accept that when talking on the ESPN broadcast during the Celtics/Sixers Game 6, saying he thought his time in the NBA may be done.
That feeling is pretty universal around the league. Guys love what Iverson was, but he is not the future.
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 8
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 13
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 21
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 88
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 22