May 27, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo was asked Saturday night about how the Celtics feel about their chances. From Fox Sports Florida’s Chris Tommasson:
Rajon Rondo believes Celtics can beat Heat: “We feel we can beat Miami. Obviously, we got to this point. There’s no doubt in our mind we can. We got to go down there and take care of business.”
Now, there’s nothing shocking here.What’s he going to say? “Oh, no, we’re doomed. We can’t beat them. Have you seen them? Have you seen us? We had to win a Game 7 behind me hitting jump shots. No chance.” No, of course he’s going to say they have to “take care of business.”
But here’s what’s interesting. How things look inside that locker room is so dramatically different from how things look on the outside, and that actually matters a ton with the Celtics. In 2009, they knew that without KG, they were not going to last. And you could tell it impacted them. There was always that little bit of hesitation, of concern. In 2010, though, despite facing a Miami team that was arguably better, a Cavaliers team that was certainly better, and a Magic team that was certainly better, Boston’s confidence in its ability to beat anyone they step on the floor with was what helped them out-execute superior teams.
Winning the mental game isn’t just about what you do to your opponent, the doubt you instill. It’s about what you do to put yourself in a position you don’t think you can lose.
And the Celtics are masters of it.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 0
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 12
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 15
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 25
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 10
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy