May 27, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo was asked Saturday night about how the Celtics feel about their chances. From Fox Sports Florida’s Chris Tommasson:
Rajon Rondo believes Celtics can beat Heat: “We feel we can beat Miami. Obviously, we got to this point. There’s no doubt in our mind we can. We got to go down there and take care of business.”
Now, there’s nothing shocking here.What’s he going to say? “Oh, no, we’re doomed. We can’t beat them. Have you seen them? Have you seen us? We had to win a Game 7 behind me hitting jump shots. No chance.” No, of course he’s going to say they have to “take care of business.”
But here’s what’s interesting. How things look inside that locker room is so dramatically different from how things look on the outside, and that actually matters a ton with the Celtics. In 2009, they knew that without KG, they were not going to last. And you could tell it impacted them. There was always that little bit of hesitation, of concern. In 2010, though, despite facing a Miami team that was arguably better, a Cavaliers team that was certainly better, and a Magic team that was certainly better, Boston’s confidence in its ability to beat anyone they step on the floor with was what helped them out-execute superior teams.
Winning the mental game isn’t just about what you do to your opponent, the doubt you instill. It’s about what you do to put yourself in a position you don’t think you can lose.
And the Celtics are masters of it.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6