May 27, 2012, 6:05 PM EST
Rajon Rondo was asked Saturday night about how the Celtics feel about their chances. From Fox Sports Florida’s Chris Tommasson:
Rajon Rondo believes Celtics can beat Heat: “We feel we can beat Miami. Obviously, we got to this point. There’s no doubt in our mind we can. We got to go down there and take care of business.”
Now, there’s nothing shocking here.What’s he going to say? “Oh, no, we’re doomed. We can’t beat them. Have you seen them? Have you seen us? We had to win a Game 7 behind me hitting jump shots. No chance.” No, of course he’s going to say they have to “take care of business.”
But here’s what’s interesting. How things look inside that locker room is so dramatically different from how things look on the outside, and that actually matters a ton with the Celtics. In 2009, they knew that without KG, they were not going to last. And you could tell it impacted them. There was always that little bit of hesitation, of concern. In 2010, though, despite facing a Miami team that was arguably better, a Cavaliers team that was certainly better, and a Magic team that was certainly better, Boston’s confidence in its ability to beat anyone they step on the floor with was what helped them out-execute superior teams.
Winning the mental game isn’t just about what you do to your opponent, the doubt you instill. It’s about what you do to put yourself in a position you don’t think you can lose.
And the Celtics are masters of it.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 2
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 9
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 28
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29