May 27, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
Now this is more like it.
No more Shaq nonsense. No more ridiculousness. The Magic are reportedly in pursuit of interviews for three members from the Spurs-Thunder tree for their open GM position. From Yahoo! Sports:
Thunder vice president and assistant general manager Troy Weaver and Spurs assistant GM Dennis Lindsey have been targeted, and Orlando has been granted permission to talk with Weaver, sources said. The Spurs’ OK of permission for Lindsey is imminent, sources said.
Orlando has also been granted permission to speak with Oklahoma City’s assistant GM Rob Hennigan, who came into the league with the Spurs.
The hiring of any of those targets would be a move in the right direction for the Magic, who need to move past temporary solutions and desperate maneuvers to keep Dwight Howard and establish a culture of winning in Orlando. Weaver has worked in the past with the Thunder’s D-League team, helping to develop young talent which have gone on to play for OKC and in some cases start elsewhere.
It would be interesting if Lindsey were hired and Dwight Howard traded, if for no other reason than it would make two former Spurs front office members hired within two years who wound up having to trade their superstar. Former Spurs assistant GM Dell Demps joined the Hornets in 2010 and wound up having to move Chris Paul.
But this is the kind of move that the Magic are desperately in need of. They want to win now. But that’s not really feasible, given conditions. Better to put themselves into a long-term position by establishing a culture that can succeed. Hiring members of the two organizations to most successfully do that over the past five to ten years is a good way to do that. The Spurs have won because of Tim Duncan, the Thunder because of Kevin Durant. But they’ve also won because management hasn’t acted imprudently, has drafted well, and built a culture of sustained success.
This is the way you rebuild.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 0
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 45
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13