May 26, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Charles Barkley is well known for not liking San Antonio. It’s just not his kind of town. Like a lot of towns in Texas, the people that like San Antonio love it, those that don’t are very “meh” on it. Very few hate it. It’s hard to hate it. It’s a livable city. (Note: For once I’m not just talking out my backside, having spent four years in Austin and primarily traveling around Texas at that time I got a feel for the Republic and its citizens.) But it’s definitely not for Barkley, who continues to blast the Riverwalk as a “dirty creek.”
On Friday, San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro responded to Barkley in a friendly, wink-wink, nudge-nudge video that features the ultimate argument. Count the rings.
Gotta love the Mayor taking advantage of the situation to get some free publicity. Barkley and company head to San Antonio Sunday as TNT hosts the Western Conference Finals Game 1 Sunday night at the AT&T Center. Hopefully Charles can get down to the Riverwalk for some chain Tex-Mex and poorly made margaritas.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 22
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49