May 26, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Charles Barkley is well known for not liking San Antonio. It’s just not his kind of town. Like a lot of towns in Texas, the people that like San Antonio love it, those that don’t are very “meh” on it. Very few hate it. It’s hard to hate it. It’s a livable city. (Note: For once I’m not just talking out my backside, having spent four years in Austin and primarily traveling around Texas at that time I got a feel for the Republic and its citizens.) But it’s definitely not for Barkley, who continues to blast the Riverwalk as a “dirty creek.”
On Friday, San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro responded to Barkley in a friendly, wink-wink, nudge-nudge video that features the ultimate argument. Count the rings.
Gotta love the Mayor taking advantage of the situation to get some free publicity. Barkley and company head to San Antonio Sunday as TNT hosts the Western Conference Finals Game 1 Sunday night at the AT&T Center. Hopefully Charles can get down to the Riverwalk for some chain Tex-Mex and poorly made margaritas.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 2
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 9
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 11
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 45
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60