May 26, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
That sound you hear is the sound of 29 teams’ GMs heads whipping up like German Shepherds when there’s a loud noise. Houston Rockets “should-be-All-Star” Kyle Lowry sent a message loud and clear through the Houston Chronicle. He has a problem with Kevin McHale, he has a problem with how minutes were split with he and Goran Dragic, and unless things get resolved real quick, he wants out. Kaboom.
“I don’t think so,” Lowry, 26, said. “I honestly think it would be tough. Things have to be addressed. The situation would have to be addressed.
“If things aren’t addressed coaching-wise, I guess I have to be moved.”
Check out the rest of the interview for more discussion from Lowry about how it is not working with him and his coach in Houston. This is pretty big stuff. Now, a lot of guys will express negative feelings right after a season is over and then things cool down. And Lowry’s not blasting outright. This is strong stuff, but “I guess I’ll have to be moved” is different from “It’s time” or any of the other flat-out trade demands used.
The second this came out, the Pau-Gasol-to-Houston trade talk lit up Twitter like a Christmas tree. Houston, of course, was set to receive Gasol in the vetoed Chris Paul trade last year. They have badly wanted a dominant big man to score inside with their army of talented wings. This would provide them within one, in exchange for what may be the best production-for-dollar-value contract in the league and a top 10 point guard. But with Goran Dragic available to be re-signed, that gives them options there.
That’s skipping several beats ahead, however. There have been no discussions, and there likely will be no discussions any time soon, as Daryl Morey will not negotiate from a position of weakness. Morey and McHale both downplayed Lowry’s comments, and the team’s not going to trade away Lowry and then try and re-sign Dragic from that position.
Nothing will happen as of now, but it’s something to put on your radar. If Lowry’s on the block, there will be callers. Lots of them.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 0
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 3
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 17
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 8
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6