May 25, 2012, 1:36 AM EDT
After the Lakers were eliminated from the playoffs, Lakers fans took to the Internet like locust trying to find a way to trade Pau Gasol and make their team better. About the same time came word that Deron Williams had the Lakers on his list of teams he would consider.
So, a Gasol or Deron Williams sign and trade?
Not going to happen. A tweet from Stephen Bondy of the New York Daily News.
With Lakers S/T for D-Will, source said the Nets would not do that deal for Pau Gasol. Would rather have cap space.
Notice that, Lakers fans, the Nets would rather have empty cap space than Gasol.
That’s not to say Gasol can’t play and isn’t of any trade value. It’s just he’s not as valuable as you think. There will be no blockbuster deal that involves Gasol straight up. The Lakers can get some depth, maybe get a little younger and more athletic (things they need to do), but they are not getting a star for him. That’s a pipe dream. There are no more Chris Paul trades out there.
The Lakers can get more for Andrew Bynum, but they give up a lot more, too. The point is Lakers fans, there is no silver bullet here. There is no easy way to fix the roster, especially with Kobe set to make $30 million next year tying your hands.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30