May 25, 2012, 1:36 AM EDT
After the Lakers were eliminated from the playoffs, Lakers fans took to the Internet like locust trying to find a way to trade Pau Gasol and make their team better. About the same time came word that Deron Williams had the Lakers on his list of teams he would consider.
So, a Gasol or Deron Williams sign and trade?
Not going to happen. A tweet from Stephen Bondy of the New York Daily News.
With Lakers S/T for D-Will, source said the Nets would not do that deal for Pau Gasol. Would rather have cap space.
Notice that, Lakers fans, the Nets would rather have empty cap space than Gasol.
That’s not to say Gasol can’t play and isn’t of any trade value. It’s just he’s not as valuable as you think. There will be no blockbuster deal that involves Gasol straight up. The Lakers can get some depth, maybe get a little younger and more athletic (things they need to do), but they are not getting a star for him. That’s a pipe dream. There are no more Chris Paul trades out there.
The Lakers can get more for Andrew Bynum, but they give up a lot more, too. The point is Lakers fans, there is no silver bullet here. There is no easy way to fix the roster, especially with Kobe set to make $30 million next year tying your hands.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61