May 25, 2012, 1:36 AM EST
After the Lakers were eliminated from the playoffs, Lakers fans took to the Internet like locust trying to find a way to trade Pau Gasol and make their team better. About the same time came word that Deron Williams had the Lakers on his list of teams he would consider.
So, a Gasol or Deron Williams sign and trade?
Not going to happen. A tweet from Stephen Bondy of the New York Daily News.
With Lakers S/T for D-Will, source said the Nets would not do that deal for Pau Gasol. Would rather have cap space.
Notice that, Lakers fans, the Nets would rather have empty cap space than Gasol.
That’s not to say Gasol can’t play and isn’t of any trade value. It’s just he’s not as valuable as you think. There will be no blockbuster deal that involves Gasol straight up. The Lakers can get some depth, maybe get a little younger and more athletic (things they need to do), but they are not getting a star for him. That’s a pipe dream. There are no more Chris Paul trades out there.
The Lakers can get more for Andrew Bynum, but they give up a lot more, too. The point is Lakers fans, there is no silver bullet here. There is no easy way to fix the roster, especially with Kobe set to make $30 million next year tying your hands.
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 3
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 3
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 17
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)