May 25, 2012, 1:36 AM EDT
After the Lakers were eliminated from the playoffs, Lakers fans took to the Internet like locust trying to find a way to trade Pau Gasol and make their team better. About the same time came word that Deron Williams had the Lakers on his list of teams he would consider.
So, a Gasol or Deron Williams sign and trade?
Not going to happen. A tweet from Stephen Bondy of the New York Daily News.
With Lakers S/T for D-Will, source said the Nets would not do that deal for Pau Gasol. Would rather have cap space.
Notice that, Lakers fans, the Nets would rather have empty cap space than Gasol.
That’s not to say Gasol can’t play and isn’t of any trade value. It’s just he’s not as valuable as you think. There will be no blockbuster deal that involves Gasol straight up. The Lakers can get some depth, maybe get a little younger and more athletic (things they need to do), but they are not getting a star for him. That’s a pipe dream. There are no more Chris Paul trades out there.
The Lakers can get more for Andrew Bynum, but they give up a lot more, too. The point is Lakers fans, there is no silver bullet here. There is no easy way to fix the roster, especially with Kobe set to make $30 million next year tying your hands.
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 2
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 17
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7