May 25, 2012, 9:55 AM EST
The Knicks J.R. Smith was arrested in South Beach when the car in which he was a passenger was pulled over by officers and they discovered an outstanding bench warrant for not having a valid driver’s license.
There are not a lot of details, but according to the Associated Press Smith was in a car driving through the heart of South Beach in Miami when the car was pulled over. A routine background check of everyone in the car revealed the bench warrant for Smith for previously having driven without a license. He was arrested and taken to the Miami-Dade county jail. He has since been released on bond.
Smith is a free agent right now but was considering picking up his $2.5 million option with the Knicks for next season. If not, the gunner used as a sixth man both in Denver and New York could test the free agent market. During the lockout Smith played in China.
His father encouraged him to pick up the New York option and said his son was “broke.”
- Spurs get a little revenge, along with season’s signature win in takedown of Heat 0
- Suns’ rookie Alex Len takes to court with #prayforukraine on shoes 16
- Paul George wants LeBron James to be his mentor 39
- Report: Joakim Noah recruiting Carmelo Anthony to Chicago Bulls 41
- The Extra Pass: Four teams for three spots in West playoff race 7