May 25, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
The Knicks J.R. Smith was arrested in South Beach when the car in which he was a passenger was pulled over by officers and they discovered an outstanding bench warrant for not having a valid driver’s license.
There are not a lot of details, but according to the Associated Press Smith was in a car driving through the heart of South Beach in Miami when the car was pulled over. A routine background check of everyone in the car revealed the bench warrant for Smith for previously having driven without a license. He was arrested and taken to the Miami-Dade county jail. He has since been released on bond.
Smith is a free agent right now but was considering picking up his $2.5 million option with the Knicks for next season. If not, the gunner used as a sixth man both in Denver and New York could test the free agent market. During the lockout Smith played in China.
His father encouraged him to pick up the New York option and said his son was “broke.”
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 14
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 39
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 81
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48