May 25, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
The Knicks J.R. Smith was arrested in South Beach when the car in which he was a passenger was pulled over by officers and they discovered an outstanding bench warrant for not having a valid driver’s license.
There are not a lot of details, but according to the Associated Press Smith was in a car driving through the heart of South Beach in Miami when the car was pulled over. A routine background check of everyone in the car revealed the bench warrant for Smith for previously having driven without a license. He was arrested and taken to the Miami-Dade county jail. He has since been released on bond.
Smith is a free agent right now but was considering picking up his $2.5 million option with the Knicks for next season. If not, the gunner used as a sixth man both in Denver and New York could test the free agent market. During the lockout Smith played in China.
His father encouraged him to pick up the New York option and said his son was “broke.”
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49