May 25, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
The Knicks J.R. Smith was arrested in South Beach when the car in which he was a passenger was pulled over by officers and they discovered an outstanding bench warrant for not having a valid driver’s license.
There are not a lot of details, but according to the Associated Press Smith was in a car driving through the heart of South Beach in Miami when the car was pulled over. A routine background check of everyone in the car revealed the bench warrant for Smith for previously having driven without a license. He was arrested and taken to the Miami-Dade county jail. He has since been released on bond.
Smith is a free agent right now but was considering picking up his $2.5 million option with the Knicks for next season. If not, the gunner used as a sixth man both in Denver and New York could test the free agent market. During the lockout Smith played in China.
His father encouraged him to pick up the New York option and said his son was “broke.”
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 3
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 30
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19