May 25, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
The Knicks J.R. Smith was arrested in South Beach when the car in which he was a passenger was pulled over by officers and they discovered an outstanding bench warrant for not having a valid driver’s license.
There are not a lot of details, but according to the Associated Press Smith was in a car driving through the heart of South Beach in Miami when the car was pulled over. A routine background check of everyone in the car revealed the bench warrant for Smith for previously having driven without a license. He was arrested and taken to the Miami-Dade county jail. He has since been released on bond.
Smith is a free agent right now but was considering picking up his $2.5 million option with the Knicks for next season. If not, the gunner used as a sixth man both in Denver and New York could test the free agent market. During the lockout Smith played in China.
His father encouraged him to pick up the New York option and said his son was “broke.”
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25