May 25, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
The Knicks J.R. Smith was arrested in South Beach when the car in which he was a passenger was pulled over by officers and they discovered an outstanding bench warrant for not having a valid driver’s license.
There are not a lot of details, but according to the Associated Press Smith was in a car driving through the heart of South Beach in Miami when the car was pulled over. A routine background check of everyone in the car revealed the bench warrant for Smith for previously having driven without a license. He was arrested and taken to the Miami-Dade county jail. He has since been released on bond.
Smith is a free agent right now but was considering picking up his $2.5 million option with the Knicks for next season. If not, the gunner used as a sixth man both in Denver and New York could test the free agent market. During the lockout Smith played in China.
His father encouraged him to pick up the New York option and said his son was “broke.”
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 36
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85