May 25, 2012, 1:43 PM EDT
Jeff Van Gundy is sticking up for his brother, Stan, who got fired because Dwight Howard didn’t like him. Sure, both the Magic and Howard deny that, but does anybody believe them?
Jeff Van Gundy doesn’t.
And the current ABC color analyst got on a roll ripping the Magic CEO Alex Martins and how they handled this entire situation when being interviewed on 98.7 ESPN New York (via Sports Radio Interviews).
“For (Stan Van Gundy) to have been in the office all day and the President, Alex Martins, knows that he is there and let them leave and then he calls him on the phone to fire him? It’s unprofessional. It’s unprofessional.
“To hide behind the fact or try to make everyone believe that Dwight Howard didn’t have a part in this is absurd. Say listen we fired this guy because we know this our best chance to keep Dwight Howard. Dwight Howard and I decided to fire him. To do anything else is playing a game of semantics….
“Finally and this is the biggest one to me he said that my brother is the finest ‘X and O’ coach he has been around in his 25 years in the business. Okay listen [Alex Martins] all you have done in your 25 years in the business is release press releases and run the business side.
“You don’t know if a ball is blown up or stuffed. You don’t know if the pick and role coverage on the side is right or wrong. Just say that I have no knowledge about basketball. It’s offensive when someone who has no knowledge about basketball even in a positive comment tries in those ways to sort of negate what Brian Hill did as a coach or what Matt Guokas did as a coach. He doesn’t know one thing about basketball so please hold off your comments on my brothers expertise since you know nothing about basketball.”
The Magic have handled this poorly from the start, no doubt. It’s like when your girlfriend/boyfriend is thinking about dumping you — there are steps you take to try to keep them, to repair the relationship. But you don’t sacrifice your dignity and let them run all over you to do it. Because they are just going to leave anyway after that.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 12
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 5
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28