May 25, 2012, 8:59 PM EDT
Knicks fans all over the globe just felt a cold chill go down their spine.
Isiah Thomas is out of a job after getting fired from Florida International University. So what is next? ESPNChicago.com asked him.
“I definitely want to be in basketball again whether it be coaching or as a general manager,” Thomas said by phone. “My gift is basketball. I would love working with the kids. If it’s the right college program, I would consider it. If it’s the right GM job or coaching job in the NBA, I would consider it. I love the game. I just want to be in the game.”
The Knicks have just kept Mike Woodson on as coach and Glen Grunwald as GM, so the traditional positions of power are gone. Well then, how about being a consultant? Or another key position to the owner? Thomas dodged the question.
“I have great friends in the organization,” said Thomas…. “The owner and I have a very good relationship. It’s an organization I will always root for and will always want them to do well because they’re all personal friends of mine.”
I’m not sure Thomas will ever again get a formal position with the Knicks — the fan base might revolt — but that’s different than saying he doesn’t have influence in the organization. However, if the goal is a paid position then back to college may be more likely.
“I’m like everyone else, I keep my options open,” Thomas said. “My mom always said don’t burn any bridges. I followed her advice. It would have to be the right option and right place.”
Knicks fans just involuntarily shuddered.
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 2
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 19
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 72
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 21
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13