May 25, 2012, 8:59 PM EDT
Knicks fans all over the globe just felt a cold chill go down their spine.
Isiah Thomas is out of a job after getting fired from Florida International University. So what is next? ESPNChicago.com asked him.
“I definitely want to be in basketball again whether it be coaching or as a general manager,” Thomas said by phone. “My gift is basketball. I would love working with the kids. If it’s the right college program, I would consider it. If it’s the right GM job or coaching job in the NBA, I would consider it. I love the game. I just want to be in the game.”
The Knicks have just kept Mike Woodson on as coach and Glen Grunwald as GM, so the traditional positions of power are gone. Well then, how about being a consultant? Or another key position to the owner? Thomas dodged the question.
“I have great friends in the organization,” said Thomas…. “The owner and I have a very good relationship. It’s an organization I will always root for and will always want them to do well because they’re all personal friends of mine.”
I’m not sure Thomas will ever again get a formal position with the Knicks — the fan base might revolt — but that’s different than saying he doesn’t have influence in the organization. However, if the goal is a paid position then back to college may be more likely.
“I’m like everyone else, I keep my options open,” Thomas said. “My mom always said don’t burn any bridges. I followed her advice. It would have to be the right option and right place.”
Knicks fans just involuntarily shuddered.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38