Isiah Thomas: “I definitely want to be in basketball again”

May 25, 2012, 8:59 PM EST

Isiah Thomas Getty Images

Knicks fans all over the globe just felt a cold chill go down their spine.

Isiah Thomas is out of a job after getting fired from Florida International University. So what is next? ESPNChicago.com asked him.

“I definitely want to be in basketball again whether it be coaching or as a general manager,” Thomas said by phone. “My gift is basketball. I would love working with the kids. If it’s the right college program, I would consider it. If it’s the right GM job or coaching job in the NBA, I would consider it. I love the game. I just want to be in the game.”

The Knicks have just kept Mike Woodson on as coach and Glen Grunwald as GM, so the traditional positions of power are gone. Well then, how about being a consultant? Or another key position to the owner? Thomas dodged the question.

“I have great friends in the organization,” said Thomas…. “The owner and I have a very good relationship. It’s an organization I will always root for and will always want them to do well because they’re all personal friends of mine.”

I’m not sure Thomas will ever again get a formal position with the Knicks — the fan base might revolt — but that’s different than saying he doesn’t have influence in the organization. However, if the goal is a paid position then back to college may be more likely.

“I’m like everyone else, I keep my options open,” Thomas said. “My mom always said don’t burn any bridges. I followed her advice. It would have to be the right option and right place.”

Knicks fans just involuntarily shuddered.

1. vols84 - May 25, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Not sure why anyone would want him.

• abchome - May 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Dolan just loves him. Dolan has serious “Inferiority Complex” and doesn’t like people smarter than him (according to Bill Simmons)…

2. knightrider1755 - May 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM

He’s the reason why his Indiana teammates Grunwald and Woodson have jobs in the Knicks organization. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Knicks bring him back in some capacity, sooner or later.

3. jckid21 - May 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Attempted suicide, sexual harassment settlement, and horrible coach/gm……….I can’t see why the Knicks wouldn’t bring him back.

Isiah is like herpes to the Knicks he will never go away.

4. jmclarkent - May 25, 2012 at 10:21 PM

If I am a Knicks fan, I don’t want Isiah Thomas stepping foot inside MSG without a ticket or a Globetrotters jersey..

5. omegadawg4 - May 25, 2012 at 10:34 PM

If the Knicks bring Isaiah back he will sink the ship

6. blueblood86 - May 25, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Watta joke
    Just stay home stay away from NY or westcheaster county.

7. drewzducks - May 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM

“My mom always said don’t burn any bridges.”. Did his mom also always say ” make sure you sexually harass your underlings”?

8. jackdaniels1 - May 26, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Ha, good one! There’s always the WNBA Isiah

9. chiadam - May 26, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Don’t burn any bridges…just burn down entire leagues (the CBA), teams (pick one), and colleges. But no bridges. Oh, and sexually harass co-workers along the way.

10. drunkenjunk - May 26, 2012 at 9:04 AM

sure you do bud, fortunately anybody with common sense won’t allow you near their organization.

11. dirkified - May 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Maybe when Shaq becomes GM, he will hire you to coach.. lol

12. cantonbound13 - May 26, 2012 at 10:41 AM

His gift is destroying & humiliating franchises. He’s pathetic! Stay away from New York you joke!

13. lakerluver - May 26, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I love you Isiah, but it might be time for him to do something outside of basketball. All the failures he’s had after retiring might taint his legacy in the eyes of some. However, I’m not in that camp. Isiah was the 2nd best pg I’ve ever seen after Magic. He was the best small player ever. Some might say A. I. was but if Isiah wanted to he could’ve scored a lot more. Instead he was a true pg and only took over when his team needed him to. It’s a shame some people forget just how truly great he was. Don’t forget he also led the Hoosiers to a title as a sophomore.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches