May 25, 2012, 6:09 PM EDT
You want to read a $25,000 quote?
“The league does not have a problem with hard fouls on our two main guys. In nine games now there’s been over a dozen hard fouls to the face, some of the tomahawk variety, some have drawn blood. They don’t have a problem with it so we don’t have a problem with it. We’ll focus on what we can control.”
That was Heat coach Erik Spoelstra between games five and six of of the Heat’s series against the Pacers, after blood was drawn on a foul against Dwyane Wade and it was Udonis Haslem‘s retaliation that got the Heat forward suspended for a game. Which, actually was the right call but it’s not how it played in the Heat locker room.
Friday the league came down on Spoelstra with a $25,000 fine. Because while everyone else can criticize the officials players and coaches cannot. It undermines the product in the eyes of the NBA.
Not cheap for Heat, but Spoelstra is willing to pay it to let the team know he has their back.
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 1
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 6
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 30
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 10