May 25, 2012, 6:09 PM EDT
You want to read a $25,000 quote?
“The league does not have a problem with hard fouls on our two main guys. In nine games now there’s been over a dozen hard fouls to the face, some of the tomahawk variety, some have drawn blood. They don’t have a problem with it so we don’t have a problem with it. We’ll focus on what we can control.”
That was Heat coach Erik Spoelstra between games five and six of of the Heat’s series against the Pacers, after blood was drawn on a foul against Dwyane Wade and it was Udonis Haslem‘s retaliation that got the Heat forward suspended for a game. Which, actually was the right call but it’s not how it played in the Heat locker room.
Friday the league came down on Spoelstra with a $25,000 fine. Because while everyone else can criticize the officials players and coaches cannot. It undermines the product in the eyes of the NBA.
Not cheap for Heat, but Spoelstra is willing to pay it to let the team know he has their back.
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars