Derrick Rose approaching rehab just like you expect him to

May 25, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Chicago Bulls Getty Images

Derrick Rose is approaching rehab of his knee like he attacks the rim — with energy and undivided focus.

Did you expect otherwise?

Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau was on ESPN Radio in Chicago Friday and was asked about Rose’s recovery from knee surgery (transcription via ESPNChicago.com).

“He has a great support system,” Thibodeau said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “His family is fantastic. They’ve been great with him.

“He comes in every day. He’s diligent. He’s moving along well….

“I think he understands what he has to go through, and he’s approaching it like he does everything else,” Thibodeau said. “His rehabs are his games and practices right now. His concentration in rehab is fantastic. He just has to be patient and keep doing what he’s doing.”

Rose ripped up his ACL near the end of Game 1 of the opening round of the playoffs. The Bulls didn’t advance without him (Joakim Noah was also banged up against the Sixers). The recovery time is expected to take until around Christmas at the earliest and maybe through the All-Star Game and beyond.

But if he’s rehabbing like this, bet on the early end of that scale.

1. goldkj - May 25, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Bulls fan or not, you have to root for this guy.

• LilTmac2003 - May 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I’m with you on that.

Guys like D-Rose and Durant, they are the new breed for the NBA. Plus both are humble and let their game do the talking.

Wish Rose a speedy recovery!

• chicitybulls - May 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

That sounds good but you know how some people are. See, you already got a thumbs down.

• florida727 - May 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Who the heck thumbs-downs a “get well quick” wish for anyone, let alone a guy of Rose’s caliber and character? If you thumbs-down that, you’re an idiot. Get a freaking life.

2. lakerluver - May 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I love my LAKERS but I also love D. Rose. Dude is in the mold of Durant and Tim Duncan, humble superstars. Get well, D. Rose, and come back better than ever!!

3. pudgalvin - May 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Biggest gooch shot ever when the Bulls went down to the sixers. I can handle a loss (Bears super bowl loss, Bulls loss to the Heat, both lost to a better team) and get over it reasonably quickly, but it makes me sick to my stomach to see the Celtics and Sixers still playing when the Bulls should have been resting up for the Heat.

• neeciekay - May 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM

What’s even more sickening is all the crap sixers fans were talking when they barely squeaked out of that series against our 2nd and 3rd string point guards. That irritates me more than anything. These sixers celebrated as if they’d beat a fully healthy Bulls roster. Then again, they are so used to NOT winning that any win, whether legitimate or not had to feel good for them. I like the Celtics as my 2nd fav team (Bulls #1 of course), and if any team in the East had to go up against the Heat other than our beloved Bulls, I’m glad it’s the veteran Boston Celtics. Remember the Heat laid down the latter part of their season to avoid the Celtics, banking on the hope that the Bulls would have to do their dirty work for them. They never thought D.Rose would go down in the first game of the playoffs. . .neither did we as fans. Get well soon D.Rose, you’ll always be our MVP in the city of Chicago! We know you’ll come back smarter and playing better than ever.

Handing out NBA's postseason awards