May 25, 2012, 6:37 PM EDT
I hope you like iso ‘Melo Knicks fans.
The New York Knicks announced late Friday that coach Mike Woodson has been given a multiyear contract extension to continue as coach of the team. The details of the years and money are not yet known. This move was expected after Woodson turned the team around to go 18-6 to close out the season and make the playoffs, and also got Carmelo Anthony to hustle consistently.
“I’m very humbled and honored to continue coaching the franchise where I started my NBA career,” Woodson said in a released statement. “Our goal is to build off the success we had at the end of last season and to continue our quest of bringing an NBA championship to Madison Square Garden.”
Woodson took over the Knicks midseason after Mike D’Antonio was fired. D’Antoni struggled to get the Knicks to play his way, while Woodson got the Knicks to focus more on defense, while choosing to run the offense through Carmelo Anthony. Which made ‘Melo happy. Frankly, Woodson just did what Carmelo wanted but he got it to work and the Knicks won enough games to make the playoffs.
With the Knicks GM Glen Grunwald being a college teammate of Woodson, and with other ties including to Isiah Thomas, Woodson was expected to get an extension after the run the team had to end the season.
While it had been rumored that owner James Dolan would go after big fish like Phil Jackson and John Calipari, either the Knicks got shot down through back channels or chose not to pursue it.
Doesn’t matter why it happened. Knicks fans, the isolation heavy team you loved will be back next season.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48