May 25, 2012, 6:37 PM EST
I hope you like iso ‘Melo Knicks fans.
The New York Knicks announced late Friday that coach Mike Woodson has been given a multiyear contract extension to continue as coach of the team. The details of the years and money are not yet known. This move was expected after Woodson turned the team around to go 18-6 to close out the season and make the playoffs, and also got Carmelo Anthony to hustle consistently.
“I’m very humbled and honored to continue coaching the franchise where I started my NBA career,” Woodson said in a released statement. “Our goal is to build off the success we had at the end of last season and to continue our quest of bringing an NBA championship to Madison Square Garden.”
Woodson took over the Knicks midseason after Mike D’Antonio was fired. D’Antoni struggled to get the Knicks to play his way, while Woodson got the Knicks to focus more on defense, while choosing to run the offense through Carmelo Anthony. Which made ‘Melo happy. Frankly, Woodson just did what Carmelo wanted but he got it to work and the Knicks won enough games to make the playoffs.
With the Knicks GM Glen Grunwald being a college teammate of Woodson, and with other ties including to Isiah Thomas, Woodson was expected to get an extension after the run the team had to end the season.
While it had been rumored that owner James Dolan would go after big fish like Phil Jackson and John Calipari, either the Knicks got shot down through back channels or chose not to pursue it.
Doesn’t matter why it happened. Knicks fans, the isolation heavy team you loved will be back next season.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 28
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16