May 25, 2012, 6:37 PM EDT
I hope you like iso ‘Melo Knicks fans.
The New York Knicks announced late Friday that coach Mike Woodson has been given a multiyear contract extension to continue as coach of the team. The details of the years and money are not yet known. This move was expected after Woodson turned the team around to go 18-6 to close out the season and make the playoffs, and also got Carmelo Anthony to hustle consistently.
“I’m very humbled and honored to continue coaching the franchise where I started my NBA career,” Woodson said in a released statement. “Our goal is to build off the success we had at the end of last season and to continue our quest of bringing an NBA championship to Madison Square Garden.”
Woodson took over the Knicks midseason after Mike D’Antonio was fired. D’Antoni struggled to get the Knicks to play his way, while Woodson got the Knicks to focus more on defense, while choosing to run the offense through Carmelo Anthony. Which made ‘Melo happy. Frankly, Woodson just did what Carmelo wanted but he got it to work and the Knicks won enough games to make the playoffs.
With the Knicks GM Glen Grunwald being a college teammate of Woodson, and with other ties including to Isiah Thomas, Woodson was expected to get an extension after the run the team had to end the season.
While it had been rumored that owner James Dolan would go after big fish like Phil Jackson and John Calipari, either the Knicks got shot down through back channels or chose not to pursue it.
Doesn’t matter why it happened. Knicks fans, the isolation heavy team you loved will be back next season.
- Report: The Clippers have let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 11
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 10
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 8
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 6
- Report: Tony Parker got death threat during Game 1 9
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable