May 24, 2012, 12:57 PM EST
Udonis Haslem followed through on a hard foul on Hansbrough in that game — two hands that got ball but was clearly intended as a physical message — and Haslem is suspended for Game 6.
Heat coach Erik Spoelstra complained Thursday like Heat fans did on call in shows and twitter all day the day before — it’s an unfair double standard. That Dwyane Wade and Lebron James put up with too many hard hits that go unpunished. From ESPN.
“The league does not have a problem with hard fouls on our two main guys,” Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said Thursday before taking on the Pacers in Game 6.
“In nine games now there’s been over a dozen hard fouls to the face, some of the tomahawk variety, some have drawn blood. They don’t have a problem with it so we don’t have a problem with it. We’ll focus on what we can control.”
The Pacers play a physical style, and it clearly has worked fairly well on the Heat. That nine game reference by Spoelstra refers back to the Pacers regular season games against the Heat as well.
To me the league got it right. Well, mostly right, Dexter Pittman should have gotten more games for his flagrant elbow but nobody is really arguing that suspension (not even Spoelstra, who said Pittman went rogue).
Hansbrough made a playoff foul. Hard but he played the ball. Haslem’s foul was clearly retaliatory — he has never gone for a two-handed block before in his life. I could go either way on suspending Haslem, but I have no problem with it.
And if you’re the Heat looking to retaliate for physical play, you may want to pick your spots better because not having Haslem for Game 6 really hurts.
But if the Heat need to go with the “us against the world” thing to motivate themselves, go for it. Every team does it.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)