May 24, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
It was a bad idea when we first heard about it. Then came the secondary spin that it’s not that the Orlando Magic wanted Shaquille O’Neal as their general manager, it was more he wanted the job but they were just being curtious.
Now the idea is dead. Shaq released a statement denying interest:
“When I first heard about the vacancy for the Orlando Magic general manager position, I was clearly intrigued. I was drafted by the Magic, I have a great love for the franchise, and I have made the city of Orlando my home. Additionally, I have great admiration and respect for the DeVos family. However, this is not a job I have an interest in pursuing. I feel very fortunate to be with TNT and to have the best job in sports. I look forward to many more years with Charles, Kenny and E.J. I wish the best for the Magic and I am confident that they will select a great GM and coach.”
Do viewers of Inside the NBA look forward to many more years with Shaq? That’s another question. It sounds like Shaq got excited about the idea at first but when he thought more about it, and when the backlash came, he balked.
So this silly rumor is dead. Let us speak of it no more. Please.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 11
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 13
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7