May 24, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
It was a bad idea when we first heard about it. Then came the secondary spin that it’s not that the Orlando Magic wanted Shaquille O’Neal as their general manager, it was more he wanted the job but they were just being curtious.
Now the idea is dead. Shaq released a statement denying interest:
“When I first heard about the vacancy for the Orlando Magic general manager position, I was clearly intrigued. I was drafted by the Magic, I have a great love for the franchise, and I have made the city of Orlando my home. Additionally, I have great admiration and respect for the DeVos family. However, this is not a job I have an interest in pursuing. I feel very fortunate to be with TNT and to have the best job in sports. I look forward to many more years with Charles, Kenny and E.J. I wish the best for the Magic and I am confident that they will select a great GM and coach.”
Do viewers of Inside the NBA look forward to many more years with Shaq? That’s another question. It sounds like Shaq got excited about the idea at first but when he thought more about it, and when the backlash came, he balked.
So this silly rumor is dead. Let us speak of it no more. Please.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2