Shaq denies interest in Magic GM job. Can we let this die now?

May 24, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT

2nd Annual Cartoon Network Hall Of Game Awards - Arrivals Getty Images

It was a bad idea when we first heard about it. Then came the secondary spin that it’s not that the Orlando Magic wanted Shaquille O’Neal as their general manager, it was more he wanted the job but they were just being curtious.

Now the idea is dead. Shaq released a statement denying interest:

“When I first heard about the vacancy for the Orlando Magic general manager position, I was clearly intrigued. I was drafted by the Magic, I have a great love for the franchise, and I have made the city of Orlando my home.  Additionally, I have great admiration and respect for the DeVos family.  However, this is not a job I have an interest in pursuing.  I feel very fortunate to be with TNT and to have the best job in sports.  I look forward to many more years with Charles, Kenny and E.J.  I wish the best for the Magic and I am confident that they will select a great GM and coach.”

Do viewers of Inside the NBA look forward to many more years with Shaq? That’s another question. It sounds like Shaq got excited about the idea at first but when he thought more about it, and when the backlash came, he balked.

So this silly rumor is dead. Let us speak of it no more. Please.

1. donfelder440 - May 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Can either you or the powers-that-be at this site please do me and the other readers the “curtisy” of hiring an editor for your pieces? It’s increasingly difficult to make it through one.

• patfic15 - May 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Thank God someone else noticed that. PFT, for the most part, has solid edits. PBT is run by children. Children who cannot spell.

2. rickyspanish - May 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM

“Shaq denies interest in Magic GM job. Can we let this die now?”

Then let it die.

3. jagwar73 - May 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM

No, he is ruining the TNT show. I wouldn’t have missed it in the past, now it’s tough to watch. Isn’t there something else you could do Shaq? Please?

• sackofrice - May 24, 2012 at 6:33 PM

he should try not to be the center of attention for the first time in his entire life.

4. uscthom78 - May 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM

no we won’t let this die…hahahahahahahah!!!!!!

5. rollteal - May 25, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I was hoping he’d get the job just to get off the TNT show.

6. bbk1000 - May 25, 2012 at 5:13 AM

Everything about Shaq screams ‘stupidity’…..I’d love to see it…

7. vrsatile1 - May 25, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Everything about Shaq screams ‘stupidity’…..I’d love to see it…

Where’s your 3.8 GPA and Doctorate in Education?

8. deadeyedesign23 - May 25, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I don’t know…can you stop posting stories about it?

9. furio2929 - May 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I’m glad Shaq didn’t take the offer. With his TNT contract he will have less pressure. The pressure of drafting players, building a Good team and then putting 110% to the team is immense. good luck Shaq

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches