May 24, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
It was a bad idea when we first heard about it. Then came the secondary spin that it’s not that the Orlando Magic wanted Shaquille O’Neal as their general manager, it was more he wanted the job but they were just being curtious.
Now the idea is dead. Shaq released a statement denying interest:
“When I first heard about the vacancy for the Orlando Magic general manager position, I was clearly intrigued. I was drafted by the Magic, I have a great love for the franchise, and I have made the city of Orlando my home. Additionally, I have great admiration and respect for the DeVos family. However, this is not a job I have an interest in pursuing. I feel very fortunate to be with TNT and to have the best job in sports. I look forward to many more years with Charles, Kenny and E.J. I wish the best for the Magic and I am confident that they will select a great GM and coach.”
Do viewers of Inside the NBA look forward to many more years with Shaq? That’s another question. It sounds like Shaq got excited about the idea at first but when he thought more about it, and when the backlash came, he balked.
So this silly rumor is dead. Let us speak of it no more. Please.
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 15
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 28
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4