May 24, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
It was a bad idea when we first heard about it. Then came the secondary spin that it’s not that the Orlando Magic wanted Shaquille O’Neal as their general manager, it was more he wanted the job but they were just being curtious.
Now the idea is dead. Shaq released a statement denying interest:
“When I first heard about the vacancy for the Orlando Magic general manager position, I was clearly intrigued. I was drafted by the Magic, I have a great love for the franchise, and I have made the city of Orlando my home. Additionally, I have great admiration and respect for the DeVos family. However, this is not a job I have an interest in pursuing. I feel very fortunate to be with TNT and to have the best job in sports. I look forward to many more years with Charles, Kenny and E.J. I wish the best for the Magic and I am confident that they will select a great GM and coach.”
Do viewers of Inside the NBA look forward to many more years with Shaq? That’s another question. It sounds like Shaq got excited about the idea at first but when he thought more about it, and when the backlash came, he balked.
So this silly rumor is dead. Let us speak of it no more. Please.
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 6
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 7
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 5
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29