May 24, 2012, 9:23 PM EST
It sounds more and more like Orlando’s ownership and upper management, after spending a year trying to convince Dwight Howard to stay, are done. They want him, he can sign on and stay, but they are done catering to his whims. Well, now that Stan Van Gundy is gone.
Orlando will start listening to offers for Howard before the NBA Draft (when a number of deals are consummated) and from there on, according to Chris Sheridan at Sheridanhoops.com. He also reported earlier this week that Howard “desperately” wants out.
A plugged-in league source tells SheridanHoops.com that the feeling is mutual, and Orlando is prepared to trade him sooner rather than later.
The source said that when Magic team president traveled to Michigan last weekend to speak in person with owner Rich DeVos, the conclusion was reached that not only was it time for Stan Van Gundy and Otis Smith to go, but Howard, too.
This is the smart play. Not that I would trade Howard for a draft pick (although if it is the No. 1 and the rights to Anthony Davis I would consider it, however that’s not going to happen), but picks likely are part of any package coming back to Orlando.
What the Magic — and likely Howard — are hoping is the Nets get one of those top three picks and can pair it with Brook Lopez and other parts to send Howard to Brooklyn to pair with Deron Williams. But whoever gets the top picks could be part of a deal for Howard.
- Bobcats lose Jeffery Taylor for season with ruptured Achilles 0
- Carmelo Anthony after latest home loss to Grizzlies: ‘I think it’s in our heads’ 13
- Brook Lopez suffers broken foot, out for the season 27
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 12
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 6
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (71)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)
- Reports: Houston Rockets pull out of Asik trade talks, will keep him for now (45)