May 24, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
It sounds more and more like Orlando’s ownership and upper management, after spending a year trying to convince Dwight Howard to stay, are done. They want him, he can sign on and stay, but they are done catering to his whims. Well, now that Stan Van Gundy is gone.
Orlando will start listening to offers for Howard before the NBA Draft (when a number of deals are consummated) and from there on, according to Chris Sheridan at Sheridanhoops.com. He also reported earlier this week that Howard “desperately” wants out.
A plugged-in league source tells SheridanHoops.com that the feeling is mutual, and Orlando is prepared to trade him sooner rather than later.
The source said that when Magic team president traveled to Michigan last weekend to speak in person with owner Rich DeVos, the conclusion was reached that not only was it time for Stan Van Gundy and Otis Smith to go, but Howard, too.
This is the smart play. Not that I would trade Howard for a draft pick (although if it is the No. 1 and the rights to Anthony Davis I would consider it, however that’s not going to happen), but picks likely are part of any package coming back to Orlando.
What the Magic — and likely Howard — are hoping is the Nets get one of those top three picks and can pair it with Brook Lopez and other parts to send Howard to Brooklyn to pair with Deron Williams. But whoever gets the top picks could be part of a deal for Howard.
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 0
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 28
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16