May 24, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
It sounds more and more like Orlando’s ownership and upper management, after spending a year trying to convince Dwight Howard to stay, are done. They want him, he can sign on and stay, but they are done catering to his whims. Well, now that Stan Van Gundy is gone.
Orlando will start listening to offers for Howard before the NBA Draft (when a number of deals are consummated) and from there on, according to Chris Sheridan at Sheridanhoops.com. He also reported earlier this week that Howard “desperately” wants out.
A plugged-in league source tells SheridanHoops.com that the feeling is mutual, and Orlando is prepared to trade him sooner rather than later.
The source said that when Magic team president traveled to Michigan last weekend to speak in person with owner Rich DeVos, the conclusion was reached that not only was it time for Stan Van Gundy and Otis Smith to go, but Howard, too.
This is the smart play. Not that I would trade Howard for a draft pick (although if it is the No. 1 and the rights to Anthony Davis I would consider it, however that’s not going to happen), but picks likely are part of any package coming back to Orlando.
What the Magic — and likely Howard — are hoping is the Nets get one of those top three picks and can pair it with Brook Lopez and other parts to send Howard to Brooklyn to pair with Deron Williams. But whoever gets the top picks could be part of a deal for Howard.
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 9
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 14
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 18
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32