May 24, 2012, 9:23 PM EST
It sounds more and more like Orlando’s ownership and upper management, after spending a year trying to convince Dwight Howard to stay, are done. They want him, he can sign on and stay, but they are done catering to his whims. Well, now that Stan Van Gundy is gone.
Orlando will start listening to offers for Howard before the NBA Draft (when a number of deals are consummated) and from there on, according to Chris Sheridan at Sheridanhoops.com. He also reported earlier this week that Howard “desperately” wants out.
A plugged-in league source tells SheridanHoops.com that the feeling is mutual, and Orlando is prepared to trade him sooner rather than later.
The source said that when Magic team president traveled to Michigan last weekend to speak in person with owner Rich DeVos, the conclusion was reached that not only was it time for Stan Van Gundy and Otis Smith to go, but Howard, too.
This is the smart play. Not that I would trade Howard for a draft pick (although if it is the No. 1 and the rights to Anthony Davis I would consider it, however that’s not going to happen), but picks likely are part of any package coming back to Orlando.
What the Magic — and likely Howard — are hoping is the Nets get one of those top three picks and can pair it with Brook Lopez and other parts to send Howard to Brooklyn to pair with Deron Williams. But whoever gets the top picks could be part of a deal for Howard.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 0
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 22
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 51
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (51)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)