Pau Gasol’s exit comments another sign he’s being shopped

May 24, 2012, 8:45 AM EDT

Pau Gasol AP

Pau Gasol says he doesn’t know where he really stands with the Lakers.

Which is code for “we’re going to shop you around on the trade market but we don’t know what we’ll get, so you may or may not be a Laker next October.”

Gasol had his exit meeting with Laker GM Mitch Kupchak and coach Mike Brown Wednesday and then spoke to the media. When asked about his status with the team going into the summer, Gasol said he didn’t know because the team couldn’t tell him. Via Elliott Teaford of the L.A. Daily News:

“I wish I could have clarification right now, they can’t give it to me. They had to talk to management. We didn’t talk too much about the future. We talked about this year. We talked about how things went. It was really positive.

“It’s kind of early. If they knew it would be good to know. But I understand we just finished playing two days ago. Things don’t work that easily. At some point, I won’t worry too much about it. It’s something I’ve been through already this year. If something does happen, it does. If it doesn’t, I’ll be happy to be back next training camp ready to go and have a more peaceful year and focus on our goal to win a championship.”

It’s out of his control, so Gasol is just going to go with the flow. The reed bending in the river.

Kupchak echoed the same thoughts when he met with the media and said he thought this season took a toll on Gasol. Via NBA.com.

“I thought personally that he did the best anybody can do being professional and saying the right things, being a good teammate, having a really good season up until I met with him a couple hours ago. He’s the consummate teammate, the consummate professional. But what took place is hard for a player to deal with, and I’m sure there’s a little bit of trust that’s not quite the same.”

The Lakers need to make big roster changes after getting bounced in the second round for the second consecutive year. Problem is they are way over the salary cap and have no draft picks to speak of. The only way to make a serious change is to move Gasol or Andrew Bynum. And as the Lakers have already put Gasol in a trade — the three-team Chris Paul deal killed by David Stern — you know they are not averse to making a move.

But getting value for him is another thing. And if the choice is making a bad trade or no trade, the Lakers will stand pat.

Bottom line: Pau Gasol, welcome to limbo.

1. shockexchange - May 24, 2012 at 9:16 AM

He may as well go … he’s not being used properly. The Lakers should have pounded that ball into Gasol and Bynum the entire series. Unfortunately, there’s only one ball and it’s hard for them and Horry, Jr. to shoot at the same time.

• 00maltliquor - May 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM

You need to cut the crap with this “Robert Horry, Jr.” nonsence when speaking on The Mamba son. I get your handle, you want to say shocking things and get people all riled up ’cause your a hater, but man you sound foolish.

• bozosforall - May 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM

You’ve gotta excuse “sockinhispants”. The guy has been a loser his entire life and no amount of mommy-coddling (yeah, I know it’s mollycoddling, but I’m coining a new term in honor of his reaching his 40th birthday and still living in his mom’s basement).will ever change that.

• loungefly74 - May 24, 2012 at 2:14 PM

i know malt, he pisses he off too with all his hating…him and progress2011. those 2 are complete fools.

2. rodge1 - May 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM

As Kobe gets older his skills decline yet salary rises. Could that be an issue?

3. omniusprime - May 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Pau just doesn’t seem as hungry for another ring the way he was hungry for his first two. Time to shop Pau for someone more hungry to win a title. But most of all it’s time to get rid of coach Mike Clown Brown. Plus getting rid of McRoberts and Murphy, two total wastes this season. The Lakers need a much better bench. Plus Kobe needs to stop hogging the ball thinking he’s still in his prime thinking he can win every game by himself.

• zxrated - May 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM

That’s a lot of unrealistic negativity heaped on a team that had no time to build chemistry. Brown is not the problem. Phil Jackson never figured out how to solve the Bynum intergration into the offense puzzle either. As a Laker fan I know cap issues will force change but I just hope the FO doesn’t go knee jerk like they did this season. The CP3 trade was poorly thought out given the Phil Jackson and Mark Cuban 2010 conflict of interest warning.

4. isujames - May 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM

WTF is Horry Jr ??????

5. ragingmouse - May 24, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I think he would fit in nicely within the spurs organization…
    I hope he ends up there!

6. lucky5934 - May 24, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Would love to see the Bulls snag Paul. He deserves a team that would appreciate his skill set.

• 00maltliquor - May 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Paul who? Chris Paul, Paul Pierce, Paul George?

• lucky5934 - May 24, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Aren’t you focused on the PBT comments today. Your boss must be proud of how you use your lunchtime.

7. sageandjudahsdad - May 24, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Barnes for Lebron
      Walton for Melo
      Brown for Doc Rivers
      Sign Nash too

• tsi431 - May 24, 2012 at 1:34 PM

You are a big dummy

Walton already got traded to the Cavs in the Session deal. Maybe MWP for Melo instead, and cash considerations of course, this needs to be fair.

• mytthor - May 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Sign DWill? So you think he’s going to play for the mini-midlevel exception $3M?

9. fmlizard - May 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I keep wondering why the Wolves are the team most tied to Gasol. Other than him and Rubio being Spanish there is no reason or way it could go down.

The Wolves can’t be dumb enough to trade Love for him. (I think)
    They really can’t give up Rubio for him, because pairing those two is kinda the point. Plus the whole salary and age issue.
    I suppose they could give up Pek, but that isn’t fair value for LA and why would they want him and Bynum/Howard?

So who is left for the Wolves to trade there? They need a SG/SF in the worst way and adding another post guy is overkill. I would rather they tried to deal for Kobe – at least that would make some sense.

10. bozosforall - May 24, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Sad to see him go, if that is what happens, but it may be the best option for all parties involved. The Gasol for Bosh rumors are somewhat intriguing.

• mannyfresh209 - May 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Yeah bro I’m a Heat fan and absolutely love the trade. In all honesty it works out for both teams beautifully.

Lakers – Get a stretch 4 that can defend decently and doesn’t like to post up to free up room for Bynum.

Heat – Get a really skilled 7-footer who is great in the post and can take away some pressure on the boards/shot blocking for this team.

• bozosforall - May 24, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Let’s make the deal right now. LOL

11. dysraw1 - May 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM

When the lakers let Vlade Divac go he went SAC. an had along an eventful career, I think the same thing is gonna happen if they move Pau.

12. 00maltliquor - May 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM

2 years in a row with an early second round exit, 1-8 combined 2nd rd. record with an expensive, aging roster…Damn, things are about to pop off and yeah, Pau is definatly going to go. It really saddens me.

Personally, I think we have the main peices to win another Larry O’. The combo of Kobe and our 2 skilled , long 7”0ers is a rare mix not seen on any other team. Pau to me is the best passing big man in the league and works very well with AB. We just need a freakin’ bench, a real, legitimate bench. I get that that won’t happen without clearing out room first, because between Kobe, Pau and AB we are over the cap already so it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to do so.

Really, between the new salary cap penalties, contracts and players no one else wants, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. It’s either keep our guys and have no cap space for capible complimentary players and continue to keep winning our division but nothing else but 2nd rd. exits, or sell off what little assets we’ve got and re-build from the bottom up. The latter won’t sit well with The Mamba, but it’s really no other options.

Personally, I LOVE all the players on the Lakers with a HUGE exception of Steve Flake, Troy Murphy and Josh McRoberts. I love me some Ron-Ron, I think we may have a diamond in the rough with this Christian Eyenga character, watch out for him within the next 2 years, mark my words. I really think the same about Darius Morris, he just needs to learn how to better control the ball and make more accurate passes, but that kid is going to be a stud. Love Goudelock. J. Hill is very useful and earned my respect. Ebanks as well. Matt Barnes gives us great value with his production vs. salary.

I really think someone from up top told coach Brown to limit Sessions’ minutes so he doesn’t break out in the playoffs so he can’t command more then 5 million per season since he’s going to be a free agent, and bump up Steve Blake’s minutes and roll the dice and see if he can produce so he’ll have better trade value because there is NO reason for Blake to be closing out games and Sessions only playing about 27 minutes a game in the playoffs. NO reason at all!! NONE.

This is going to be a very interesting offseason for the Lakers and our fans, but I’m scared shitless that this team is going to get worse before it gets better. I don’t trust the decision making when things are on the line with Jim Buss. He makes me nervous.

13. sexyrexys - May 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Amare for Gasol…Lets Go

14. furio2929 - May 24, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Hey Gasol, take it from Tim Duncan. He had been playing slow a couple years past and conditioned himself now with good numbers that no one can question him. Good luck, be tough and ignore all the negative things they say about u or your team. By the way. I hate u lakers.

• mannyfresh209 - May 24, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I’m the biggest anti-Laker dude out here haha but I agree… Pau needs to go to another team that WANTS him. He’s still possibly the most skilled PF in the league right now, he just needs a fresh start!

He’s gonna tear it up next year with another team.

15. shockexchange - May 24, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Heard the rapper, “Future,” had a new mixtape:

Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum at the same ____ time
    Got a huge size advantage at the same ____ time
    Posting up, calling for it at the same ____ time
    Horry, Jr. tryna shoot it at the same ___ time, at the same ____ time, at the same ____ time

Spike Lee needs to get this ____ on fiiiillllm!

16. furio2929 - May 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM

loungefly74 whatcha talking about. Your comment makes no sense. Have one🍺 on me

17. furio2929 - May 24, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I’m off today. But thanks for the expelation

18. lakerluver - May 25, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Thank you, Pau for helping the LAKERS win two titles, HOWEVER, now it’s time to move on. It’s not personal, strictly business.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches