Kevin Durant, LeBron James head All-NBA Teams

May 24, 2012, 2:39 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Miami Heat Getty Images

Here’s the problem with nitpicking the All-NBA teams — there are no bad players on any of the first three.

You can argue if you want (and as I would) that LaMarcus Aldridge deserves a spot on the third team more than Carmelo Anthony or Dirk Nowitzki, but that doesn’t make the guys on the list bad picks. I would have had Steve Nash ahead of Rajon Rondo. It’s just a difference of opinion, but you can defend any of these pick.

Well, you can’t defend every vote. I’d love to hear the justification of the media member that voted for Luis Scola or David Lee or Serge Ibaka on to one of these teams (they all got votes). Those are all just bad calls. But most voters (coaches, or whichever assistant they forced to do it) were sober enough not to make those choices.

As it should be, LeBron James and Kevin Durant were the top two vote getters. Dwight Howard edged out Andrew Bynum for the top center spot (it shouldn’t have been that close, Howard is still quite a bit ahead of Bynum’s game), and it’s hard to argue the L.A. backcourt tandem.

Derrick Rose did not make the list, but that was about injuries not play.

Here are the lists, with their vote totals in parenthesis:

All-NBA First Team

Forward: LeBron James, Miami (596)
Forward: Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City (591)
Center: Dwight Howard, Orlando (476)
Guard: Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers (568)
Guard: Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers (484)

All-NBA Second Team

Forward: Kevin Love, Minnesota (365)
Forward: Blake Griffin, L.A. Clippers (170)
Center: Andrew Bynum, L.A. Lakers (400)
Guard: Tony Parker, San Antonio (367)
Guard: Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City (239)

All-NBA Third Team

Forward: Carmelo Anthony, New York (154)
Forward: Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas (136)
Center: Tyson Chandler, New York (60)
Guard: Dwyane Wade, Miami (235)
Guard: Rajon Rondo, Boston (142)

Other players receiving votes, with point totals: LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland, 55; Marc Gasol, Memphis, 52; Derrick Rose, Chicago, 44; Josh Smith, Atlanta, 33; Paul Pierce, Boston, 31; Al Jefferson, Utah, 30; Pau Gasol, L.A. Lakers, 27; Steve Nash, Phoenix, 24; Kevin Garnett, Boston, 22; Tim Duncan, San Antonio, 18; Joe Johnson, Atlanta, 16; Deron Williams, New Jersey, 14; Rudy Gay, Memphis, 10; James Harden, Oklahoma City, 8; Luol Deng, Chicago, 5; Roy Hibbert, Indiana, 5; Manu Ginobili, San Antonio, 3; Danny Granger, Indiana, 3; Joakim Noah, Chicago, 3; Monta Ellis, Milwaukee, 2; Chris Bosh, Miami, 2; Luis Scola, Houston, 2; Marcin Gortat, Phoenix, 2; Paul Millsap, Utah, 2; Serge Ibaka, Oklahoma City, 2; David Lee, Golden State, 1; and DeMarcus Cousins, Sacramento, 1.

1. Justin - May 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I think this finally settles who the best PF was this year as K-Love just destroyed Griffin. Also, how about some of the notable players left off the list. The league is getting filled with stars which I’m sure has David Stern smiling.

2. turnmymicup - May 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM

MVP LeBron James holding it down for MIA. Go Heat!

3. broncobeta - May 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM

It doesn’t bother me that there wasn’t even even a single vote for a single Nugget player.

It bothers me that Louis Scola got two.

4. jasonax - May 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Just Pathetic!

5. flyrocket31 - May 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Tyson Chandler? and Josh Smith didn’t make it? the hell!

• 00maltliquor - May 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Chandler is a center, Josh Smith is a forward. You need one center, 2 forwards and 2 guards per team.

• flyrocket31 - May 25, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Smith basically played center when horford went out. theres no other worthy centers in ATL. nearly 19pts 10 reb and 2 blocks per game. if he’s not considered a center then he should have beat out Dirk anyway.

6. 00maltliquor - May 24, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I actually think all three teams are dead on. Very solid, usually I’ll have a gripe or two but this is actually legit. I would love to leave Melo off but really, for what other forward? LMA no. Dude needs to grab more rebounds to get more respect from me. Kinda wierd to see Dwayne Wade as a third-teamer though.

7. 00maltliquor - May 24, 2012 at 4:20 PM

…And is this the 1st time a last year MVP was left off the all 3 all-NBA teams in the history of the league? I mean, I get why but that stuck out to me…

8. jimsjam33 - May 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Whoever the voters are , they are to be commended . All three teams are right on .

9. 11jlacy - May 24, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Rudy gay should at least made the 3rd team com on man.

• abchome - May 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM

He would probably make the All Overpaid Team…

10. Mr. Wright 212 - May 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Switch Melo and Griffin, the one trick pony. And actually, move him out COMPLETELY in favor of Aldridge, and everything else is right.

• florida727 - May 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I actually have a hard time arguing with your comment. I hardly ever see Griffin play, being in FL and their games are always late. But after watching some of their playoff games, I’m not nearly as impressed as I thought I’d be. Yeah, the roof keeps him in the building, but his jump shot is pathetic. If he’s not dunking, he’s not doing much else. They’d be a lottery team without Chris Paul.

11. isujames - May 24, 2012 at 5:19 PM

This is about as good as it gets, I agree with the list except for Kobe being on first team and t Parker/westbrook being ahead of d wade.

12. pjhurley5 - May 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Speaks volumes to what the Sixers are doing, without any players receiving votes and they are taking the Celtics to 7 games!

13. papabush88 - May 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM

How did 2 people not vote for LeBron. Just moronic. And I’m a Laker fan…not even a Heat fan.

• florida727 - May 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM

You always end up with some voter with an axe to grind and they think they’re making a “statement” by NOT voting for him. I’m not a fan of his either, but I think the only statement those two made is that they’re idiots and should be banned from voting in the future purely based on the stupidity factor.

14. papabush88 - May 24, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I almost like the second team better than the first. Love is nothing more than a stat stuffer. Griffin is awsome dunker. Westbrook is NOT a PG. He’s a good SG though. I think Parker is better than Paul. And Bynum is better than Howard.

15. isujames - May 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM

^ To begin with who says that, and secondly the game wouldn’t be close if the first team played the second team, to be honest I like the third teams line up more than the second.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches