May 24, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
In New York, it has just kind of assumed that Steve Nash wants to come there. Because New Yorkers assume everyone wants to come there, play there — that everyone wishes they were New Yorkers.
Not the case. And it may not be the case with Steve Nash.
In a twitter discussion yesterday, Jared Zwerling of ESPNNewYork.com tweeted this:
Hearing that Nash won’t want to come to NY. We can likely kiss that notion goodbye.
The problem for the Knicks getting Nash starts with money — they don’t have any. They have a mid-level exception but they will need to use that to keep Jeremy Lin (unless the Knicks luck out and the union wins in arbitration). After that, all the Knicks could offer is the veteran minimum. (Which is why the Knicks will not land Lamar Odom either, well that and they already have Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire who can play the four.)
If Nash is chasing a ring and willing to play for the veteran minimum, he can get that with the Heat. And he’d be closer to getting a title there than in New York. (Lakers fans, you have less of a chance than the Knicks. Let it go.)
My lean right now is he goes nowhere; he looks at his options and signs to stay in Phoenix. If he does leave, and if Dallas cannot land Deron Williams, that opens up as an option. But I don’t see New York. Nash loves it there, lives there in the off-season, but that’s different than signing up to play for the circus that is the team in Madison Square Garden.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 46
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18