May 24, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
In New York, it has just kind of assumed that Steve Nash wants to come there. Because New Yorkers assume everyone wants to come there, play there — that everyone wishes they were New Yorkers.
Not the case. And it may not be the case with Steve Nash.
In a twitter discussion yesterday, Jared Zwerling of ESPNNewYork.com tweeted this:
Hearing that Nash won’t want to come to NY. We can likely kiss that notion goodbye.
The problem for the Knicks getting Nash starts with money — they don’t have any. They have a mid-level exception but they will need to use that to keep Jeremy Lin (unless the Knicks luck out and the union wins in arbitration). After that, all the Knicks could offer is the veteran minimum. (Which is why the Knicks will not land Lamar Odom either, well that and they already have Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire who can play the four.)
If Nash is chasing a ring and willing to play for the veteran minimum, he can get that with the Heat. And he’d be closer to getting a title there than in New York. (Lakers fans, you have less of a chance than the Knicks. Let it go.)
My lean right now is he goes nowhere; he looks at his options and signs to stay in Phoenix. If he does leave, and if Dallas cannot land Deron Williams, that opens up as an option. But I don’t see New York. Nash loves it there, lives there in the off-season, but that’s different than signing up to play for the circus that is the team in Madison Square Garden.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 0
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 10
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 30
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5