Danny Granger to play in Game 6 despite swollen ankle

May 24, 2012, 3:08 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers' Granger grabs his ankle after he was injured in the second quarter of play against the Miami Heat during Game 5 of their NBA Eastern Conference second round basketball playoff series in Miami Reuters

Danny Granger‘s ankle is swollen up “like a small softball” and if this were the regular season he’s be sitting. But it’s not and he is going to go out there and play in Game 6 Thursday night, an elimination game for the Pacers who trail 3-2 in the series.

How well he can still play remains to be seen.

Granger was honest when speaking to the media, including Brian Windhorst of ESPN, saying he was on a lot anti-inflammatory medications.

“I have to play,” Granger said. “With an elimination game, our backs against the wall, I have to play.”

I know what this means, you know what this means and Granger knows what this means — he’s going to be guarding LeBron James and Lebron will test him early.

“I know when we know a player has an injury, it’s definitely in our mind and we attack it. So I’m sure he will. He’s been in attack mode anyway, and I’m sure he’ll be even more in attack mode knowing that I’m limited. But I rise to the challenge.”

He’s going to need big help from Roy Hibbert and help defenders behind him to have a chance. If LeBron or Wade are able to go off and dominate this game the series will end.

Indy also has to figure out how to replace Granger’s 18.7 points per game and shot creation on the wing if he is not able to produce.

1. 00maltliquor - May 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Of course he will, it’s called man-ing up. Something Chris Bosh knows nothing about!

lol sorry, I couldn’t resist!

• jasonax - May 24, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Hurt.

2. rodge1 - May 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM

That was lame. I will admit that Granger is brave because ankle injuries linger for a long time. But an abdominal strain sucks. Hurts to sneeze, cough, and sleep sometimes. No surprise you like malt liquor…

• brianartex - May 24, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Granger isn’t being brave. Go ahead, play through the pain Granger, but you’re not proving anything to me other than your masochism. This isn’t toughness, it’s stupidity as he will probably sink his team every minute he spends on the floor

• brianartex - May 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Of course, now that I said that he will lead the Pacers to a Finals victory

3. dirtyassfish - May 24, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Sometimes idiots need to be saved from themselves.

4. 1972wasalongtimeago - May 24, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Pacers are playing their full squad against Wade & James. At home. Life depends on it, who you got?

5. tampajoey - May 24, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I’m surprised more players don’t sprain their ankles around duck-footed Lebron James.

6. comeonnowguys - May 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM

“Small softball.”

…you mean a baseball, basically?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches