May 24, 2012, 3:08 PM EDT
Danny Granger‘s ankle is swollen up “like a small softball” and if this were the regular season he’s be sitting. But it’s not and he is going to go out there and play in Game 6 Thursday night, an elimination game for the Pacers who trail 3-2 in the series.
How well he can still play remains to be seen.
Granger was honest when speaking to the media, including Brian Windhorst of ESPN, saying he was on a lot anti-inflammatory medications.
“I have to play,” Granger said. “With an elimination game, our backs against the wall, I have to play.”
I know what this means, you know what this means and Granger knows what this means — he’s going to be guarding LeBron James and Lebron will test him early.
“I know when we know a player has an injury, it’s definitely in our mind and we attack it. So I’m sure he will. He’s been in attack mode anyway, and I’m sure he’ll be even more in attack mode knowing that I’m limited. But I rise to the challenge.”
He’s going to need big help from Roy Hibbert and help defenders behind him to have a chance. If LeBron or Wade are able to go off and dominate this game the series will end.
Indy also has to figure out how to replace Granger’s 18.7 points per game and shot creation on the wing if he is not able to produce.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 9
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 10
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 44
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record