May 24, 2012, 2:04 AM EDT
Philadelphia fans are not fair-weathered about Allen Iverson — they love him. At times during his years with the team it was tough love. But in the end Iverson did all you can ask of a player as a fan — he gave it his all every night. Iverson left it on the floor. He played with passion.
Hence the rousing welcome when he walked the game ball out Wednesday night before Game 6 of the Sixers/Celtics series. A series that is now tied and headed back to Boston for Game 7.
Iverson talked about those Philly fans during an in-game interview with Lisa Salters on ESPN:
“I love these fans, and obviously they showed me a lot of love here,” Iverson said. “I was basically trying to hurry up and get off the court. My legs started wobbling, I was getting ready to tear up, my eyes got teary and my lips started shaking. I knew it was time to go, so I hurried up and tried to get off the court.”
Iverson also talked about a return to the game, not retirement.
“I’m not using that word (retirement)…” he said. “The way it is right now, I’ve accepted the fact that (returning to play in the NBA) might not happen. But I still want to play basketball. If I can get an opportunity to where it’s going to make me happy at the end of my career, I’ll take that opportunity. But I just love to play and I want to have another opportunity to play on the professional level.”
I don’t see him ever getting another shot in the NBA. But he could be a big draw and made some money overseas if he can find the right fit.
Whatever he does, he knows the fans in Philly are behind him.
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 0
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 16
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 58
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5