May 24, 2012, 2:04 AM EST
Philadelphia fans are not fair-weathered about Allen Iverson — they love him. At times during his years with the team it was tough love. But in the end Iverson did all you can ask of a player as a fan — he gave it his all every night. Iverson left it on the floor. He played with passion.
Hence the rousing welcome when he walked the game ball out Wednesday night before Game 6 of the Sixers/Celtics series. A series that is now tied and headed back to Boston for Game 7.
Iverson talked about those Philly fans during an in-game interview with Lisa Salters on ESPN:
“I love these fans, and obviously they showed me a lot of love here,” Iverson said. “I was basically trying to hurry up and get off the court. My legs started wobbling, I was getting ready to tear up, my eyes got teary and my lips started shaking. I knew it was time to go, so I hurried up and tried to get off the court.”
Iverson also talked about a return to the game, not retirement.
“I’m not using that word (retirement)…” he said. “The way it is right now, I’ve accepted the fact that (returning to play in the NBA) might not happen. But I still want to play basketball. If I can get an opportunity to where it’s going to make me happy at the end of my career, I’ll take that opportunity. But I just love to play and I want to have another opportunity to play on the professional level.”
I don’t see him ever getting another shot in the NBA. But he could be a big draw and made some money overseas if he can find the right fit.
Whatever he does, he knows the fans in Philly are behind him.
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 9
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 5
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Michael Carter-Williams, Victor Oladipo with dueling rookie triple doubles 5
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 3: We answer twitter questions on Blazers, Pacers vs. Monstars 0
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (50)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)