May 24, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
The Bobcats are casting a very wide net with their coaching search
There were already a lot of people brought in for interviews and now you can add interest in Stan Van Gundy and Lakers assistant Quinn Snyder to the list.
From Chris Broussard at ESPN.
The Bobcats also have permission from the Indiana Pacers to speak with assistant Brian Shaw and from the Los Angeles Lakers to speak with assistant coach Quinn Snyder, the sources said. Shaw’s interview will take place after the Pacers’ season ends.
The sources said Charlotte also will reach out to former Magic coach Stan Van Gundy. The team is not expected to make a decision until after next week’s draft lottery, at the earliest.
The Shaw news isn’t new, we’ve reported that already. Also, of course they will wait until after the lottery because if they win it — and the rights to Anthony Davis — that job will get a lot more attractive.
Van Gundy is not going to take this job. He would have his pick if he wants to return and he is not taking over a team that just set the mark for worst record in NBA history. Plus he’d cost more than the Bobcats want to pay.
Already linked to the interview process are Nate McMillan last of the Trail Blazers, Patrick Ewing of the Orlando Magic, Grizzlies’ assistant Dave Joerger, Mike Malone of Golden State, Cleveland’s Nate Tibbetts, St. John’s Mike Dunlap and Bobcats assistant Stephen Silas (son of former coach Paul Silas) will get a turn. Former Jazz coach Jerry Sloan has expressed interest in the job, like he has every job, as he starts to sound desperate.
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 1
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 13
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24