May 24, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
The Bobcats are casting a very wide net with their coaching search
There were already a lot of people brought in for interviews and now you can add interest in Stan Van Gundy and Lakers assistant Quinn Snyder to the list.
From Chris Broussard at ESPN.
The Bobcats also have permission from the Indiana Pacers to speak with assistant Brian Shaw and from the Los Angeles Lakers to speak with assistant coach Quinn Snyder, the sources said. Shaw’s interview will take place after the Pacers’ season ends.
The sources said Charlotte also will reach out to former Magic coach Stan Van Gundy. The team is not expected to make a decision until after next week’s draft lottery, at the earliest.
The Shaw news isn’t new, we’ve reported that already. Also, of course they will wait until after the lottery because if they win it — and the rights to Anthony Davis — that job will get a lot more attractive.
Van Gundy is not going to take this job. He would have his pick if he wants to return and he is not taking over a team that just set the mark for worst record in NBA history. Plus he’d cost more than the Bobcats want to pay.
Already linked to the interview process are Nate McMillan last of the Trail Blazers, Patrick Ewing of the Orlando Magic, Grizzlies’ assistant Dave Joerger, Mike Malone of Golden State, Cleveland’s Nate Tibbetts, St. John’s Mike Dunlap and Bobcats assistant Stephen Silas (son of former coach Paul Silas) will get a turn. Former Jazz coach Jerry Sloan has expressed interest in the job, like he has every job, as he starts to sound desperate.
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 9
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31