May 24, 2012, 10:37 AM EST
The Bobcats are casting a very wide net with their coaching search
There were already a lot of people brought in for interviews and now you can add interest in Stan Van Gundy and Lakers assistant Quinn Snyder to the list.
From Chris Broussard at ESPN.
The Bobcats also have permission from the Indiana Pacers to speak with assistant Brian Shaw and from the Los Angeles Lakers to speak with assistant coach Quinn Snyder, the sources said. Shaw’s interview will take place after the Pacers’ season ends.
The sources said Charlotte also will reach out to former Magic coach Stan Van Gundy. The team is not expected to make a decision until after next week’s draft lottery, at the earliest.
The Shaw news isn’t new, we’ve reported that already. Also, of course they will wait until after the lottery because if they win it — and the rights to Anthony Davis — that job will get a lot more attractive.
Van Gundy is not going to take this job. He would have his pick if he wants to return and he is not taking over a team that just set the mark for worst record in NBA history. Plus he’d cost more than the Bobcats want to pay.
Already linked to the interview process are Nate McMillan last of the Trail Blazers, Patrick Ewing of the Orlando Magic, Grizzlies’ assistant Dave Joerger, Mike Malone of Golden State, Cleveland’s Nate Tibbetts, St. John’s Mike Dunlap and Bobcats assistant Stephen Silas (son of former coach Paul Silas) will get a turn. Former Jazz coach Jerry Sloan has expressed interest in the job, like he has every job, as he starts to sound desperate.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30