May 24, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
The Bobcats are casting a very wide net with their coaching search
There were already a lot of people brought in for interviews and now you can add interest in Stan Van Gundy and Lakers assistant Quinn Snyder to the list.
From Chris Broussard at ESPN.
The Bobcats also have permission from the Indiana Pacers to speak with assistant Brian Shaw and from the Los Angeles Lakers to speak with assistant coach Quinn Snyder, the sources said. Shaw’s interview will take place after the Pacers’ season ends.
The sources said Charlotte also will reach out to former Magic coach Stan Van Gundy. The team is not expected to make a decision until after next week’s draft lottery, at the earliest.
The Shaw news isn’t new, we’ve reported that already. Also, of course they will wait until after the lottery because if they win it — and the rights to Anthony Davis — that job will get a lot more attractive.
Van Gundy is not going to take this job. He would have his pick if he wants to return and he is not taking over a team that just set the mark for worst record in NBA history. Plus he’d cost more than the Bobcats want to pay.
Already linked to the interview process are Nate McMillan last of the Trail Blazers, Patrick Ewing of the Orlando Magic, Grizzlies’ assistant Dave Joerger, Mike Malone of Golden State, Cleveland’s Nate Tibbetts, St. John’s Mike Dunlap and Bobcats assistant Stephen Silas (son of former coach Paul Silas) will get a turn. Former Jazz coach Jerry Sloan has expressed interest in the job, like he has every job, as he starts to sound desperate.
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 0
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 4
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 21
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 45
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement