May 23, 2012, 4:39 PM EST
In just a little over two months, Team USA will tip off the defense of its gold medal at the London Olympics. Man, that is coming up fast.
We got our first look at the schedule for the Games and Team USA’s toughest games of pool play will come at the beginning and end of the round, against France (Tony Parker) and Argentina (Manu Ginobili). There are six teams in each pool, meaning there are five games in that round. Two of the team’s in the USA’s pool will come out of the pre-Olympics qualifying tournament (which has some good teams such as Russia, Lithuania and Puerto Rico).
Here’s the schedule.
July 29, France (9:30 a.m. ET)
July 31, Tunisia (5:15 p.m. ET)
Aug. 2, Qualifier TBD (5:15 p.m. ET)
Aug. 4, Qualifier TBD (9:30 a.m. ET)
Aug. 6, Argentina (5:15 p.m. ET)
After that the top four teams from each pool move on to the single-elimination tournament, with the first games Aug. 8, the semifinals on Aug. 10 and the medal games on Aug. 12.
Like you we’re focused on the NBA playoffs right now, but I’m pumped for the coming summer of Olympic ball. PBT will be all over it, from being at USA training camp in Las Vegas through having all kinds of content and video coming out of London all the way up to the gold medal game.
Likely against Spain. Which will be special. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves, it’s a long road. We still don’t know the Team USA roster yet.
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 6
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 16
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 10
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25