May 23, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
In just a little over two months, Team USA will tip off the defense of its gold medal at the London Olympics. Man, that is coming up fast.
We got our first look at the schedule for the Games and Team USA’s toughest games of pool play will come at the beginning and end of the round, against France (Tony Parker) and Argentina (Manu Ginobili). There are six teams in each pool, meaning there are five games in that round. Two of the team’s in the USA’s pool will come out of the pre-Olympics qualifying tournament (which has some good teams such as Russia, Lithuania and Puerto Rico).
Here’s the schedule.
July 29, France (9:30 a.m. ET)
July 31, Tunisia (5:15 p.m. ET)
Aug. 2, Qualifier TBD (5:15 p.m. ET)
Aug. 4, Qualifier TBD (9:30 a.m. ET)
Aug. 6, Argentina (5:15 p.m. ET)
After that the top four teams from each pool move on to the single-elimination tournament, with the first games Aug. 8, the semifinals on Aug. 10 and the medal games on Aug. 12.
Like you we’re focused on the NBA playoffs right now, but I’m pumped for the coming summer of Olympic ball. PBT will be all over it, from being at USA training camp in Las Vegas through having all kinds of content and video coming out of London all the way up to the gold medal game.
Likely against Spain. Which will be special. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves, it’s a long road. We still don’t know the Team USA roster yet.
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 23
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 39
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 15
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 16
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 34