May 23, 2012, 12:27 PM EST
Scott Skiles has an NBA coaching job. All he has to do is figure out how to make a Brandon Jennings/Monta Ellis backcourt work. And figure out how that backcourt is not going to become a major defensive liability. All while everyone knows he is a lame duck in the last year of his deal. So, good luck with that.
But he reportedly has a wandering eye for another coaching gig. From the Journal-Times:
Those who know Skiles well insist he would crawl to Orlando to be the Magic’s coach. Skiles not only has a house in the Orlando area but he played five years with the Magic while becoming one of their most beloved players ever.
More importantly, Skiles is one of Richard DeVos Sr.’s all-time favorites. DeVos is the owner of the Magic
This is not happening, Skiles will be in Milwaukee next year.
For Orlando, why fire Stan Van Gundy then bring in a guy who is much the same coach in temperament and style? Nobody thinks they are keeping Dwight Howard, but the Magic need to bring in a coach that at least gives them a shot at that, plus one who knows how to rebuild when he leaves.
DeVos doesn’t want to rebuild, but he’ll have no choice.
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 4
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 10
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 5
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’ 15
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 18