May 23, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
Scott Skiles has an NBA coaching job. All he has to do is figure out how to make a Brandon Jennings/Monta Ellis backcourt work. And figure out how that backcourt is not going to become a major defensive liability. All while everyone knows he is a lame duck in the last year of his deal. So, good luck with that.
But he reportedly has a wandering eye for another coaching gig. From the Journal-Times:
Those who know Skiles well insist he would crawl to Orlando to be the Magic’s coach. Skiles not only has a house in the Orlando area but he played five years with the Magic while becoming one of their most beloved players ever.
More importantly, Skiles is one of Richard DeVos Sr.’s all-time favorites. DeVos is the owner of the Magic
This is not happening, Skiles will be in Milwaukee next year.
For Orlando, why fire Stan Van Gundy then bring in a guy who is much the same coach in temperament and style? Nobody thinks they are keeping Dwight Howard, but the Magic need to bring in a coach that at least gives them a shot at that, plus one who knows how to rebuild when he leaves.
DeVos doesn’t want to rebuild, but he’ll have no choice.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 8
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 30