May 23, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT
So, Orlando, you’re trying to make yourself relevant and convince Dwight Howard to stay (that ship has sailed) or new free agents to come in? This is not how you do it. It’s the opposite of how you do it, actually.
In the next week the Magic might meet with Shaquille O’Neal about their open general manager position, ESPN’s Chris Broussard said before Celtics-Sixers Game 6.
Shaq did begin his career in Orlando and certainly tried to influence player/personnel moves throughout his NBA career. I have no idea how that qualifies one to be a GM. And anyone listening to him this season as a studio broadcaster would balk at giving him any power after listening to his opinions on some players.
Broussard also said that the Magic would love to get Doc Rivers out of Boston to coach the team now that Stan Van Gundy is out. I bet they would. I would like Kate Upton to come over and cook me a steak dinner tonight. About the same odds of happening. Rivers just re-signed for five years, $35 million with Boston, so he’s not leaving that.
I’d say take all of this with a few grains of salt. What it sounds like to me is Orlando has put together a wish list where they could make a big splash. Instead they come off as desperate. Soon enough reality will set in and we can get on with the Brian Shaw coaching interview.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 1
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 4
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'