May 23, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT
So, Orlando, you’re trying to make yourself relevant and convince Dwight Howard to stay (that ship has sailed) or new free agents to come in? This is not how you do it. It’s the opposite of how you do it, actually.
In the next week the Magic might meet with Shaquille O’Neal about their open general manager position, ESPN’s Chris Broussard said before Celtics-Sixers Game 6.
Shaq did begin his career in Orlando and certainly tried to influence player/personnel moves throughout his NBA career. I have no idea how that qualifies one to be a GM. And anyone listening to him this season as a studio broadcaster would balk at giving him any power after listening to his opinions on some players.
Broussard also said that the Magic would love to get Doc Rivers out of Boston to coach the team now that Stan Van Gundy is out. I bet they would. I would like Kate Upton to come over and cook me a steak dinner tonight. About the same odds of happening. Rivers just re-signed for five years, $35 million with Boston, so he’s not leaving that.
I’d say take all of this with a few grains of salt. What it sounds like to me is Orlando has put together a wish list where they could make a big splash. Instead they come off as desperate. Soon enough reality will set in and we can get on with the Brian Shaw coaching interview.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11