May 23, 2012, 7:36 PM EST
So, Orlando, you’re trying to make yourself relevant and convince Dwight Howard to stay (that ship has sailed) or new free agents to come in? This is not how you do it. It’s the opposite of how you do it, actually.
In the next week the Magic might meet with Shaquille O’Neal about their open general manager position, ESPN’s Chris Broussard said before Celtics-Sixers Game 6.
Shaq did begin his career in Orlando and certainly tried to influence player/personnel moves throughout his NBA career. I have no idea how that qualifies one to be a GM. And anyone listening to him this season as a studio broadcaster would balk at giving him any power after listening to his opinions on some players.
Broussard also said that the Magic would love to get Doc Rivers out of Boston to coach the team now that Stan Van Gundy is out. I bet they would. I would like Kate Upton to come over and cook me a steak dinner tonight. About the same odds of happening. Rivers just re-signed for five years, $35 million with Boston, so he’s not leaving that.
I’d say take all of this with a few grains of salt. What it sounds like to me is Orlando has put together a wish list where they could make a big splash. Instead they come off as desperate. Soon enough reality will set in and we can get on with the Brian Shaw coaching interview.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)