Report: Magic to talk to Shaq about GM job. Worst. Idea. Ever.

May 23, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT

Shaquille O'Neal AP

So, Orlando, you’re trying to make yourself relevant and convince Dwight Howard to stay (that ship has sailed) or new free agents to come in? This is not how you do it. It’s the opposite of how you do it, actually.

In the next week the Magic might meet with Shaquille O’Neal about their open general manager position, ESPN’s Chris Broussard said before Celtics-Sixers Game 6.

Shaq did begin his career in Orlando and certainly tried to influence player/personnel moves throughout his NBA career. I have no idea how that qualifies one to be a GM. And anyone listening to him this season as a studio broadcaster would balk at giving him any power after listening to his opinions on some players.

Broussard also said that the Magic would love to get Doc Rivers out of Boston to coach the team now that Stan Van Gundy is out. I bet they would. I would like Kate Upton to come over and cook me a steak dinner tonight. About the same odds of happening. Rivers just re-signed for five years, $35 million with Boston, so he’s not leaving that.

I’d say take all of this with a few grains of salt. What it sounds like to me is Orlando has put together a wish list where they could make a big splash. Instead they come off as desperate. Soon enough reality will set in and we can get on with the Brian Shaw coaching interview.

1. drunkenjunk - May 23, 2012 at 7:41 PM

the same Doc Rivers y’all fired back in 03? I feel bad for Magic fans. I wish they had a child protective services for sports. When your management is terrible enough they take your franchise away and give it to someone competent.

• deadeyedesign23 - May 23, 2012 at 8:59 PM

If we had that we wouldn’t have had a lockout either.

• david8726 - May 23, 2012 at 11:30 PM

In Orlando’s defense, there were a lot of people who thought Doc Rivers wasn’t a very good coach before the big three fell in his lap. In Boston there were tons of people who wanted him fired, especially the year that they had one of the worst records in the league (the Oden / Durant draft).

Then KG and Ray Allen arrived and Thibedeu came along to impement that amazing defense. Doc won and now everyone considers him to be a great coach.

And he *is* a good coach. But Orlando firing him was not totally nuts at the time.

• drunkenjunk - May 24, 2012 at 3:22 AM

I understand but Rivers got a raw deal there man. He took that team to the playoffs 3 of 4 years, Hill was hurt almost his entire tenure there. The rest of the team wasn’t very good for the most part. The celtics team before the big 3 were young and not the most talented.

2. iowahbr - May 23, 2012 at 7:47 PM

This is really a great idea, SHAQ as GM with Dwight as player coach and all disputes settled by best of 10 at the free throw line.

3. Gordon - May 23, 2012 at 7:47 PM

That franchise is a joke.

4. rickyspanish - May 23, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Helin, how do you know if he’d be a bad gm?

• cakemixa - May 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Apparently because he’s watched his studio analysis, lol.

• aboogy123456 - May 23, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I bet Shaq would actually be a really good GM, at least better than Kurt. he was always a smart player and I like his analysis, Dwight howard is gone so screw what he would want.

• limonadamas - May 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Have you seen him give basketball-related opinions on the TNT show?

5. dal24la - May 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM

So Kurt I see your are watching ESPN’s NBA Countdown as well. You posted this almost IMMEDIATELY after Chris said this lol

• cmcgly - May 23, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I believe he stated that in the column

• dal24la - May 23, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I know I just find it funny when news sources get their reports from other news sources…although considering that’s all PBT really does I shouldn’t be surprised.

• cosanostra71 - May 23, 2012 at 9:00 PM

dal24la… good thing this is a blog, not a news source.

• mytthor - May 24, 2012 at 1:46 AM

You either get your report from the source or an outside source – so either whoever told the rumor to Chris Broussard calls every single news outlet in the world, or the word spreads secondhand. Every time a game is over, either a representative from every newspaper, tv station, and website is actually there watching the game, or they get it from another source.

6. cmcgly - May 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM

kazaam

7. doctorfootball - May 23, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Steel

8. rollteal - May 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Wow Shaq as a GM I just don’t know if he has the experience to do the job yet but I could be wrong.

9. dannythebisforbeast - May 23, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Your not.

10. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - May 23, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Isiah Thomas loves this idea.

• cowboysmavs - May 23, 2012 at 9:02 PM

“This just might be crazy enough to work.”, Isiah Thomas….. I doubt it will, but it was the first Isiah quote that came to mind when i read your comment, lol.

11. Fred - May 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM

If they had done this in 1996 the entire course of the franchise might have been different. Imagine Shaq resigning to play center, and the members of fu schnickens at the 1, 2 and 3?

12. hartdaddy - May 23, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Oh please yes! Anything to get him off my TNT broadcast & bring C-Webb back!

13. aschitown - May 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Worst Idea EVER! But then again, I heard Disney is buying the team and renaming it the Florida Pirates.

14. j0esixpack - May 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

They’d be better off hiring the producer who green-lighted the movie “Kazamm”

15. joywani - May 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Dr. O’Neal might be a little silly on TNT but let’s not forget he has a doctorate in Human Resource Development. I think that along with a 19 year career in the NBA might make him more qualified than most. It’s ironic how Kurt’s lack of simple research and idiotic opinion qualifies him to be a writer, yet Shaq’s opinion disqualifies him from being a good GM.

16. saintsfan83 - May 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Tiki’s flabbergasted

17. chicitybulls - May 23, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I wouldn’t put it past Shaq to do a good job. The guy got his doctorate so it shows his ability to learn. May go through some growing pains but it’ll be a learning experience. And its not like he’s going to be left in the corner on his own to figure it out. He’ll have basketball people around him (assistant GM, VP of basketball Operations, scouts, etc) so he’ll get all the information before making a decision. The TNT thing is just off the cuff, glam, shock jockish opinion (much like this blog). Those that will come on and try to diminish his doctorate, go ahead. Just make sure you punch in on time at Target. Oh and Kurt, I think Doc will leave that 5 for $35M for 6 for $40 in Orlando. This is Boston’s last real hurrah. Would you rather build around maaaybe the 3rd best pg or the best center? I’ll give him a better chance at going to Orlando than Kate going to your house. Have you looked in the mirror lately?

18. sullivdr - May 24, 2012 at 12:20 AM

This is the same guy who thought the Buss family would be crazy for getting rid of him and not Kobe….we all saw how that worked out

19. alexb64 - May 24, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I haven’t read a single report on this that didn’t also mention that Orlando likely won’t hire Shaq as a GM since he probably wouldn’t leave a cushy job at TNT to be an assistant to the GM. What it sounds like to me is Orlando doing this as a sign of respect in hopes to get a relationship with him. Also I read that despite the public spats over nicknames O’Neil & Howard have a pretty close relationship.

I agree, I think it would be dumb to hire Shaq as their GM, but that doesn’t look like what’s happening in any way.

20. ezmagic - May 24, 2012 at 12:51 AM

The magic want Rivers as GM not a coach the magic owner rich de vos is a billionaire and will pay rivers a lot more, plus rivers lives in Orlando. They fired him after they lost 19 in a row that season and Ironically that is how we got #1 pick to get Dwight that next draft. But it was a bad team except for Tmac in his prime.

21. ezmagic - May 24, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Shaq still lives in Orlando too. Hmmm

22. pellypell - May 24, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Shaq quoted as saying, “I’ll be the best GM, period. P E R O D, period.”

23. nokoolaidcowboy - May 24, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Management isn’t thinking clearly. A team with the talent to win games is what will fill seats the best. O’Neal is not qualified to evaluate talent. If he is serious about pursuing a further career in the NBA, grab a clipboard and sit at the end of the bench as Ewing has done to put your time in.

• florida727 - May 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM

“nokoolaid” brings up a very good point. You haven’t seen Ewing use his success/reputation as a player to leapfrog the process to becoming a head coach. He’s paying his dues lugging a clipboard, learning what he needs to learn. Whether he becomes a good head coach or not, no one can predict, but I admire him (hard thing to do for a Bulls fan who, by law, is required to hate all things Knicks-related :) ) for the route he’s taking. From that perspective, I wish him well, and hope that others realize they need to follow his lead and not try to parlay a gig in a studio as a fast track to a head coaching or GM position. Being a good or even great player doesn’t mean you know how to coach or run the business of basketball. Don’t believe me? Two words: Michael Jordan.

24. acdc363 - May 24, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Speaking of Ewing has his name been thrown out there yet? Hasn’t he been with Orlando for the while now?

25. slippyal2 - May 24, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I hope the Magic hire him, get him off of TNT as quick as possible.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches