May 23, 2012, 7:36 PM EST
So, Orlando, you’re trying to make yourself relevant and convince Dwight Howard to stay (that ship has sailed) or new free agents to come in? This is not how you do it. It’s the opposite of how you do it, actually.
In the next week the Magic might meet with Shaquille O’Neal about their open general manager position, ESPN’s Chris Broussard said before Celtics-Sixers Game 6.
Shaq did begin his career in Orlando and certainly tried to influence player/personnel moves throughout his NBA career. I have no idea how that qualifies one to be a GM. And anyone listening to him this season as a studio broadcaster would balk at giving him any power after listening to his opinions on some players.
Broussard also said that the Magic would love to get Doc Rivers out of Boston to coach the team now that Stan Van Gundy is out. I bet they would. I would like Kate Upton to come over and cook me a steak dinner tonight. About the same odds of happening. Rivers just re-signed for five years, $35 million with Boston, so he’s not leaving that.
I’d say take all of this with a few grains of salt. What it sounds like to me is Orlando has put together a wish list where they could make a big splash. Instead they come off as desperate. Soon enough reality will set in and we can get on with the Brian Shaw coaching interview.
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 5
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 2
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 7
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 13
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)