May 23, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
Allen Iverson — one of the most beloved Sixers — will be in the building in Philly Saturday night for what should an intense Game 6 against the Boston Celtics.
It’s a game where the Sixers need to play with the fire that Iverson always brought to the court.
Philly fans were already going to be fired up after Kevin Garnett called them “fair-weathered.” To which a Philly columnist responded saying that’s better than being racists… ugh. Did Boston have race issues in the past? Yes. Are there racists in Boston now? Yes. There are also racists in Philadelphia, New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Oklahoma City, Indianapolis, Peoria, Bakersfield, Springfield (all of them) and every other city in that Johnny Cash song. Sad but true. Boston does not have a corner on the racist market.
Anyway, Philly fans will rain boos down on Garnett, which is what he wants anyway. It fires him up.
But with Iverson there, the fans have something to cheer, also. And the current 76ers have someone to inspire them. If they play with AI’s fire they can force a Game 7.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23