May 23, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT
There are a lot of things worth watching in Game 6 between the Celtics and Sixers. For one, Kevin Garnett has invited the considerable wrath of Philadelphia down on him, one of his tricks for self-motivation. It will be loud and angry in the building.
All eyes will be on Brandon Bass to see if he can replicate his Game 5 and drop 27 again.
Can Boston, up 3-2 in the series close it out — note that in the “big three” era in Boston the Celtics are 2-10 in road closeout games (via Dei Lynam at CSNPhilly.com).
But none of that is what will decide Game 6 and if the Sixers can force a deciding game in Boston on Friday night. No, it comes down to one thing:
Can Philly contain Rajon Rondo?
In the second half of Game 5 Rondo was able to get deep into the Sixers defense and that opened up things for everyone else — Brandon Bass cutting to the basket behind the defense, Kevin Garnett (and Bass) for open midrange jumpers, even Greg Stiemsma had five buckets just cutting to the basket and putting away the pass in that game.
In a defensive series, Rondo was getting the Celtics easy buckets at the rim in the second half — Boston shot 61 percent in the third when they pulled away — and that was the difference.
Other things to watch — the team being aggressive and attacking has gotten to the line in this series and that has been a huge advantage. Also, the team last four games the team that won dominated the third quarter. Watch how they come out of the locker room. Also, Philly needs to turn their defense into offense with Jrue Holiday and Andre Iguodala getting buckets in transition. A magical Lou Williams night wouldn’t hurt, either.
Sixers coach Doug Collins has gone to the history card, showing the Sixers how in 1982 their predecessors came back on the Celtics in the same situation. That’s great, players don’t know enough about history. But what they really need is a way to keep Rondo in check.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49