May 23, 2012, 8:06 AM EDT
Larry Bird is never a guy to pull punches.
After the Pacers got run out of the building by the Heat Tuesday night the Indiana team president didn’t hold back speaking to Mike Wells of the Indy Star (via twitter).
Larry Bird: “I can’t believe my team went soft. S-O-F-T. I’m disappointed. I never thought it would happen.”
Bird chose not to elaborate… not that he needed to. That was a punch to the gut. Bird is as fierce a competitor as the game has ever seen and his team backed down when punched in the mouth.
Miami came out angry, looking to take revenge on the Pacers and Indiana looked like a team without playoff experience. Which they are. Indy was overwhelmed and once Danny Granger went down with an ankle injury they fell apart worse than the plot of “Matrix: Revolutions.” It wasn’t pretty.
We’ll see what kind of fight the Pacers come back with in Game 6, although if Granger is out it may be moot.
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 25
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 1
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 26
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27