May 23, 2012, 8:06 AM EDT
Larry Bird is never a guy to pull punches.
After the Pacers got run out of the building by the Heat Tuesday night the Indiana team president didn’t hold back speaking to Mike Wells of the Indy Star (via twitter).
Larry Bird: “I can’t believe my team went soft. S-O-F-T. I’m disappointed. I never thought it would happen.”
Bird chose not to elaborate… not that he needed to. That was a punch to the gut. Bird is as fierce a competitor as the game has ever seen and his team backed down when punched in the mouth.
Miami came out angry, looking to take revenge on the Pacers and Indiana looked like a team without playoff experience. Which they are. Indy was overwhelmed and once Danny Granger went down with an ankle injury they fell apart worse than the plot of “Matrix: Revolutions.” It wasn’t pretty.
We’ll see what kind of fight the Pacers come back with in Game 6, although if Granger is out it may be moot.
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 0
- Harden’s 17 fourth quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 2
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 47
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 25
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20