May 23, 2012, 8:06 AM EST
Larry Bird is never a guy to pull punches.
After the Pacers got run out of the building by the Heat Tuesday night the Indiana team president didn’t hold back speaking to Mike Wells of the Indy Star (via twitter).
Larry Bird: “I can’t believe my team went soft. S-O-F-T. I’m disappointed. I never thought it would happen.”
Bird chose not to elaborate… not that he needed to. That was a punch to the gut. Bird is as fierce a competitor as the game has ever seen and his team backed down when punched in the mouth.
Miami came out angry, looking to take revenge on the Pacers and Indiana looked like a team without playoff experience. Which they are. Indy was overwhelmed and once Danny Granger went down with an ankle injury they fell apart worse than the plot of “Matrix: Revolutions.” It wasn’t pretty.
We’ll see what kind of fight the Pacers come back with in Game 6, although if Granger is out it may be moot.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 3
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 4
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 23
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 28
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0