May 23, 2012, 9:55 AM EDT
Jerry Sloan really does desperately want back into coaching.
So much so he’s willing to take on what is arguably the worst job in the NBA right now — the Charlotte Bobcats — and will interview for the spot, the former Jazz coach told the Salt Lake Tribune. (The Charlotte Observer also had the story.)
Sloan told The Salt Lake Tribune on Tuesday that he has talked to Charlotte owner Michael Jordan about the Bobcats’ job and could meet with him as early as this week….
“Obviously, you probably wouldn’t win [a championship] right off the bat,” he said. “But sometimes it’s not all about starting on top.”
Probably? This would be the opposite of starting on top — the Bobcats set a record for NBA futility last season with a 7-59 record. Whoever they land in this coming draft will be the new marketing face of the franchise (Bobcats fans and management are hoping that face has a unibrow).
Sloan also said he was interested in taking the Orlando Magic job, where Stan Van Gundy has been let go, a place that looks like it also is about to be a major rebuilding project. He resigned abruptly mid-season from the Jazz 15 months ago after having coached there since roughly the Mesozoic Era.
He would bring a sense of discipline wherever he goes and he would bring his flex offense that relies on movement off the ball and execution. He’d bring some old-school, hard-a** to whatever franchise he lands with. Whether that is best for rebuilding is another discussion, but the man can coach.
And he wants back in.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 44
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11