Danny Granger sprains ankle, status up in air for Game 6

May 23, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Indiana Pacers' Granger grabs his ankle after he was injured in the second quarter of play against the Miami Heat during Game 5 of their NBA Eastern Conference second round basketball playoff series in Miami Reuters

This much was clear from Miami’s thrashing of the Indiana Tuesday night — with Danny Granter the Pacers may not win but without him they are doomed.

Granger sprained his ankle just 3:11 into the third quarter when he landed on LeBron James’ foot following a three-point jumpshot attempt. He rolled his ankle and instantly went to the bench.

After Granger left the game the Pacers were outscored by 21 points. They may not win with him but Indiana is not winning Game 6 Thursday without him.

Granger left the arena in a walking boot but said to the Indy Star he would play Thursday.

“I don’t see a circumstance where I wouldn’t play (Thursday),” Granger said.

Players are usually the worst people to ask about when they can come back from an injury. Coach Frank Vogel said he didn’t know if Granger would be available. The fact is how the ankle feels the next 48 hours and responds to treatment will determine if he plays.

Even if he plays he will not be 100 percent. Which is not good, his defense on the wing is key to the Pacers plan of slowing the game down and turning the Heat into a jump shooting team. If an injured Granger rolls out there and LeBron and Dwyane Wade drive around him like he’s an orange traffic cone the Pacers will be golfing very soon.

1. 1972wasalongtimeago - May 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM

The real question is how many times Granger can pull Lebron James’ jersey from the back with a gimpy ankle.

2. doctorhoops - May 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Granger got “submarined” by James who slipped his foot in there. Subtle, cheap play… impossible to prove, unlike the other outright assaults that marred the game.

• southbeachtalent - May 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Clearly..

• borderline1988 - May 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM

There was no way that was intentional. Lebron James is a cheap player sometimes b/c he over-dramatizes injuries, but he doesn’t look to injure others.

How did Mike Miller miss that shot after that play. He was wide, wide open, with noone around him and his shot wasn’t even close.

• gostlcards5 - May 23, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Who cares how he missed the shot? How did he not slip and bust his ass playing 3 or 4 possessions in one sock? (That was funny stuff…)

• heat256 - May 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Were you born a fool, or did you have to work at it?

• gostlcards5 - May 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Dude, seriously?

I’ve been a Pacer fan for years, way before Reggie was on the scene, way before the NBA version of the team sniffed being good. There is NO WAY LeBron did that intentionally. For one, why would he have? After the first quarter, Granger wasn’t providing anything to the team. More importantly, he’s never been the type of player or person that looked to injure the opponent. Even the cheap little elbow-raising after plays is nothing compared to what you’re accusing him of.

3. b7p19 - May 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM

There is a certain amount of Karma involved here. He’s been trying to be a bully all series. Acting all tough, trash talking, giving cheap shots, getting technicals. I liked Granger a lot more before this series than I do now. I guess it was the Pacers game plan, but still. Just play the game.

• pglive21 - May 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Granger hasn’t given a single cheap shot all series. You must be watching someone else. In both cases where Granger and Lebron got into it, it was Granger fouling and Lebron taking exception and throwing up an elbow (dirty). When Granger and Wade got into it, it was Wade who threw in some unneccessary contact after being fouled by Hibbert and Granger took exception to that. Wade deserved that technical, not Granger. All this series has proven is that Wade is a dirty player and that the Heat like to talk a lot about how they’re not dirty (especially Wade).

4. rodge1 - May 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

@doctorhoops

Good excuse. Because LeBron needs to do that since he’s inferior to Granger… In case you didn’t realize that was total sarcasm. I know it’s easy for you haters to find things to accuse LeBron of. Whatever happened to just ‘getting hurt’? If the tables were turned you’d all be saying it was karma. ‘Submarined’ really? Your name should be doctorpoops.

• doctorhoops - May 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM

You looked at the play and drew your own conclusion. So did I …

I was on the receiving end of one of those little numbers in my rec league on a jump shot, when the guy made no play on the ball and just stuck his feet under me. Ended up with a broken foot.

Going chest to chest with someone is part of the game. Being sneaky when the other player is totally vulnerable is another.

And tossing out labels like “haters” and infantile name-calling does not serve your point of view. BTW, I have no particular dog in this fight. Just calling it like I saw it.

• heat256 - May 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Then get your eyes checked. You’re no more than doctor of hoops and than I am a doctor of nuerology. Boy, they will let any idiot with a keyboard talk nowadays huh?

• doctorhoops - May 23, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Oh, I am now crushed by your insult. You are triumphant… Will you be taking your cogent commentary to TNT?

• knightrider1755 - May 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Did you just say “rec league”? Did you expect anything different? I live in Harlem and in our rec leagues we have teams made up of the Bloods and Crips.

5. canehouse - May 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM

No question he plays… even if Larry Canary hadn’t made the SOFT comment.

6. rodge1 - May 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I understand your opinion. But comparing LeBron’s defense to that of someone in your rec-league is a little crazy dude.

• knightrider1755 - May 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM

What would you expect in a rec-league?

7. rodge1 - May 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Sorry to hear about your foot, that sucks. You should give that guy a Dexter Pittman-elbow next time you play against him.

• doctorhoops - May 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I saw how he used his feet. He stayed on the ground and slid under while the jump shooter was in the air… I know it when I see it.

For the record, James is a great player with special talent, and that kind of stuff is atypical for him. Maybe he was irritated and wanted a little payback… A lapse in judgment.

• soflasfinest - May 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM

That’s positioning yourself for a box out dumbass. Sorry that you broke your foot when you were 12, time to grow up and move on

• southbeachtalent - May 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM

lapse in your judgement doc..

• doctorhoops - May 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Opinions all… No minds changed… Play on.

• knightrider1755 - May 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Dude You sound like a Knicks fan. You need to stop dreaming and wake up and drink some black coffee.

8. hoosiercolts - May 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I love how everyone is giving Danny crap for getting in LeBron and DWade’s faces. LeBron keeps trying to catch him with an elbow and Wade was the one who came up to Danny and bumped him. Don’t believe me, check the tape. All Granger is doing is sticking up for himself but since it’s LeBron and Wade he’s standing up to, HE gets the tech.

• gostlcards5 - May 23, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I’ve seen the DWade replay 4 or 5 times, and I’ll say it again. I understand him getting in LBJ’s face, because of the elbows, but Granger, not DWade, initiated that face down. Hibbert fouled Wade, Wade didn’t like it and grabbed or pushed his arm, whatever it was. Granger came from outside the 3-point line to get in Wade’s face. It was stupid on Danny’s part.

• knightrider1755 - May 23, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Doesn’t matter, the Pacers are going down like the Titanic and I’m not a fan of either team. I’m just sayin’.

9. vrsatile1 - May 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Granger is getting what he deserves. He wanted to intimidate the Heat now his ass is on the bench. Oh Karma!

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches