Andrew Bynum says he wants to stay a Laker

May 23, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT

Andrew Bynum AP

For a guy who at various parts of the year sounded indifferent about being a Laker — “there’s a bank in every town” — on the day of his exit interview Andrew Bynum said he wants to stay a Laker.

He will next season — the Lakers will certainly pick up his $16.1 million option. But he isn’t looking to get out of town after that. Via Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register.

“I don’t want to go anywhere,” Bynum said Wednesday. “Hopefully if i keep elevating my play, I won’t have to.”

“I can assure you I’m not waiting because I want to go somewhere,” Bynum said. “That’s for sure.”

Bynum likely will not sign an extension with the Lakers this summer, but that is for financial reasons not because he wants out. Under the new CBA, Bynum could only sign an extension for three more seasons after the next one with the Lakers (four years total), however if he plays next season and becomes a free agent he can sign for five years with the Lakers and get a larger pay bump.

The Lakers need major changes to their roster this summer and while they will shop Pau Gasol around they could get a larger return for Bynum. Other teams will ask about him. The question for the Lakers is this — do you think Bynum can stay healthy enough, and will he mature enough (on and off the court) that you can build around him after Kobe Bryant hangs up the sneakers? That will determine what moves they make.

But Bynum likes it in Los Angeles and isn’t looking to move.

1. bozosforall - May 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Dude needs to be much more consistent if he wants to retire a Laker.

• mikeewright7 - May 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM

#TEAMCELTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      BTW bozo is a real Celtics fan, now Bozo you and your annoying LakerNation can watch us win a championship

• bozosforall - May 23, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Dream on, Boston idiot. Everyone with a brain knows that the Western Conference representative in the NBA Finals will be the eventual champion this year. Once again, a Boston team will CHOKE along the way. As far as “annoying”, no fan base is more annoying than the Boston fan base. BTW, it’s not “LakerNation”, it’s “LakerUniverse”.

2. girouxhasladyballs - May 23, 2012 at 6:12 PM

if i were him id try to leave. you got a ring already. go get paid big man. we all know you barely wanna be out there half the time anyway.

3. jeffw - May 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Lakers would be stupid to give him a max contract. He’s hurt a lot and indifferent more than that. Trade him and let him become someone else’s problem.

• dal24la - May 23, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I say trade him now while his value’s at an all time high and after he just played a full season (That was compacted due to lockout!)

4. kpow55 - May 23, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Because he know the alternative is Orlando.

5. uscthom78 - May 23, 2012 at 9:08 PM

……..as long as he doesn’t have to play with Kobe. I wouldn’t blame him for this.

• limonadamas - May 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM

We get it… You hate Kobe.

• uscthom78 - May 24, 2012 at 2:04 AM

So does Andrew, Pauly G, Shaq, Shannon Brown and a host of other former Lakers.

6. spilkysmooth - May 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Bynum for Kevin Love , pretty sure the Wolves would not accept but can’t a dude wish! It gives the wolves an allstar Center and the Lakers a rebounding power forward who can shoot the 3 ball. They might even take Gasol too as long as the Lakers picked up a young small forward like Wes Johnson.Rubio and Gasol both from Spain ? Before you got buck wild relax LA fans we are months from any trades!

7. jerdogthompson - May 23, 2012 at 10:00 PM

4Bozos
    I guess the name says it’s all. Laker Universe? Dude u must be delirious or at least uninformed. How many titles did the Fakers win in Minny?(hurry google it) I can’t stand the team and I know that one. What does the name Lakers mean?(hint it has to do with where they came from). Fact is the Fakers won most of their championships when the NBA had 12 teams. Pretty good odds I’d say, with the new CBA and the fact there are more than 12 teams now you can put your head between your legs and kiss UR ass goodbye with regards to the Fakers winning anything in the next decade. So go and dust off your championship rings of which more than over half don’t even compare to the last half. Pretend that none if what I said matters and continue living in your fantasy world. FAKERS R OLD NEWS!!!! The new guards are slowly building towards what will be their dynasty years. Enjoy the next couple years of lottery balls—-Bozo.

8. isujames - May 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM

One of the true centers in the league, I hate the lakers but if I were them and I wanted more rings, get D Howard and R Rondo or lock up A bynum and go after Rondo.

9. swoupes - May 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Send Bynum to Toronto Raptors for 3 or 4 roll players like, Derozen, Kleiza, Bargnani or something. He doesn’t show me that he wants to be a Laker. Doesn’t he know it’s a “privilege!”

10. abchome - May 24, 2012 at 6:49 AM

He wants to stay with Lakers because LA can pay him most.

11. jordanismyidol - May 24, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Lakers suck. End of story

12. ocgunslinger - May 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM

The dude is a stud when healthy. You could say the same for many players but the upside with this immature player is unlimited…..if he stays healthy. Maturity is not a staple of most 20 -25 year old players given millions of dollars to play a game. My vote is to keep him and trust that time and future team responsibility will make him the leader and franchise player he should be capable of being.

13. mikeewright7 - Jun 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM

bozo whatabout them lakers??? look where my celtics are at?

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures