May 22, 2012, 4:20 PM EST
The Golden State Warriors pulled out the dog and pony for a show on what they hope will be the new home of their team in five years — Piers 30/32 in San Francisco. San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee was there, David Stern was there, the wind off the bay was there as always. The goal was to kick of the development plan on the site.
It’s a long way from reality — major urban developments are fraught with challenges, put it on the California coast and you might as well double the issues (state and environmental restrictions). But they are trying. Above is Warriors owner Joe Lacob speaking about the project. If you want more, check out the full story from Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com. Here is his quote from David Stern.
“There is an ownership group in place that is both emotionally connected to sports and understands the impact that sports has on the community,” Stern said. “I often talk about the same theme that Peter [Guber] echoed, that arenas are the place where 20,000 people come together, with perhaps 19,000 perfect strangers to share in the collective exercise of rooting the home team on to victory. And that’s reflected on our court as well — where it doesn’t matter where you came from, if you’ve got game, you’re going to be on the team.”
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 5
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 13
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 6
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)