May 22, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
Looks like iso-Melo will be alive and well in New York.
It’s not unexpected, but it appears the Knicks are nearing a long-term deal to keep Mike Woodson on as head coach, reports Al Iannazzone at Newsday.
The Knicks officially are expected to remove the interim label from Mike’s title this week, according to multiple sources. The two sides are working on a long-term deal, the sources said, and something could be done within the next couple of days….
Woodson, who had discussions about a contract extension with Knicks management during the playoffs, received strong endorsements from general manager and former University teammate Glen Grunwald toward the end of the season. Carmelo Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler all backed Woodson’s return.
The conventional wisdom had been that Knicks owner James Dolan would go after a bigger name coach this summer — Phil Jackson and John Calipari were the rumored targets. Whether those two shot down the idea or not through back channels, the fact is the Knicks were 18-6 under Woodson and won one playoff game, which is more than they had done in their previous couple trips to the post seasons. Plus, if the last few days around the NBA has shown anything it’s that your star player needs to like the coach, and ‘Melo played hard for Woodson.
That said, the Knicks are a long way from fielding a contender and you can wonder if Woodson is the guy who can get the most out of the roster. His teams got better each year he was the head coach in Atlanta, but his isolation heavy offense was shut down in the playoffs. We’ll see if that is different with the Knicks.
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 5
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 5
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 33
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose 33
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay