May 22, 2012, 10:51 AM EST
Looks like iso-Melo will be alive and well in New York.
It’s not unexpected, but it appears the Knicks are nearing a long-term deal to keep Mike Woodson on as head coach, reports Al Iannazzone at Newsday.
The Knicks officially are expected to remove the interim label from Mike’s title this week, according to multiple sources. The two sides are working on a long-term deal, the sources said, and something could be done within the next couple of days….
Woodson, who had discussions about a contract extension with Knicks management during the playoffs, received strong endorsements from general manager and former University teammate Glen Grunwald toward the end of the season. Carmelo Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler all backed Woodson’s return.
The conventional wisdom had been that Knicks owner James Dolan would go after a bigger name coach this summer — Phil Jackson and John Calipari were the rumored targets. Whether those two shot down the idea or not through back channels, the fact is the Knicks were 18-6 under Woodson and won one playoff game, which is more than they had done in their previous couple trips to the post seasons. Plus, if the last few days around the NBA has shown anything it’s that your star player needs to like the coach, and ‘Melo played hard for Woodson.
That said, the Knicks are a long way from fielding a contender and you can wonder if Woodson is the guy who can get the most out of the roster. His teams got better each year he was the head coach in Atlanta, but his isolation heavy offense was shut down in the playoffs. We’ll see if that is different with the Knicks.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 1
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 3
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (38)
- Jason Kidd fined $50K for intentionally spilling drink on the court to stop play in loss to Lakers (37)