May 22, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
Looks like iso-Melo will be alive and well in New York.
It’s not unexpected, but it appears the Knicks are nearing a long-term deal to keep Mike Woodson on as head coach, reports Al Iannazzone at Newsday.
The Knicks officially are expected to remove the interim label from Mike’s title this week, according to multiple sources. The two sides are working on a long-term deal, the sources said, and something could be done within the next couple of days….
Woodson, who had discussions about a contract extension with Knicks management during the playoffs, received strong endorsements from general manager and former University teammate Glen Grunwald toward the end of the season. Carmelo Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler all backed Woodson’s return.
The conventional wisdom had been that Knicks owner James Dolan would go after a bigger name coach this summer — Phil Jackson and John Calipari were the rumored targets. Whether those two shot down the idea or not through back channels, the fact is the Knicks were 18-6 under Woodson and won one playoff game, which is more than they had done in their previous couple trips to the post seasons. Plus, if the last few days around the NBA has shown anything it’s that your star player needs to like the coach, and ‘Melo played hard for Woodson.
That said, the Knicks are a long way from fielding a contender and you can wonder if Woodson is the guy who can get the most out of the roster. His teams got better each year he was the head coach in Atlanta, but his isolation heavy offense was shut down in the playoffs. We’ll see if that is different with the Knicks.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37