May 22, 2012, 3:56 PM EST
The NBA is evolving into more of a point-guard league — if you can’t touch a quick ball handler on the perimeter they are going to carve up any defense. With the rules enforced as they are, Tony Parker can’t guard Tony Parker.
The full lists are below. There are seven guys on the first team because three players — Iman Shumpert, Kawhi Leonard and Brandon Knight — all tied with 40 points. So they all make the first team. It’s like U8 soccer, everybody gets a medal.
I have a few beefs with the voting (done by head coaches, or whichever staff person they pawn the job off on) although nothing major because I can’t get that worked up about this award. Still, how does Kawhi Leonard get the same vote total as Brandon Knight? Shumpert is only in that tie because he played for the Knicks, good defender but second team guy here. Klay Thompson came on late and got recognition, but so did Isaiah Thomas in Sacramento, just nobody noticed.
First Team (points in parenthesis):
Kyrie Irving, Cleveland (58)
Ricky Rubio, Minnesota (49)
Kenneth Faried, Denver (46)
Klay Thompson, Golden State (43)
Iman Shumpert, New York (40)
Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio (40)
Brandon Knight, Detroit (40)
Second Team (pints in parenthesis)
Other players receiving votes, with point totals: Markieff Morris, Phoenix, 7; Kemba Walker, Charlotte 7; Alec Burks, Utah 2; Norris Cole, Miami 2; Bismack Biyombo, Charlotte 2; Enes Kanter, Utah 1; Greg Stiemsma, Boston 1; Gustavo Ayon, New Orleans 1; Nikola Vucevic, Philadelphia 1.
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 0
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 12
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)