May 22, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT
The NBA is evolving into more of a point-guard league — if you can’t touch a quick ball handler on the perimeter they are going to carve up any defense. With the rules enforced as they are, Tony Parker can’t guard Tony Parker.
The full lists are below. There are seven guys on the first team because three players — Iman Shumpert, Kawhi Leonard and Brandon Knight — all tied with 40 points. So they all make the first team. It’s like U8 soccer, everybody gets a medal.
I have a few beefs with the voting (done by head coaches, or whichever staff person they pawn the job off on) although nothing major because I can’t get that worked up about this award. Still, how does Kawhi Leonard get the same vote total as Brandon Knight? Shumpert is only in that tie because he played for the Knicks, good defender but second team guy here. Klay Thompson came on late and got recognition, but so did Isaiah Thomas in Sacramento, just nobody noticed.
First Team (points in parenthesis):
Kyrie Irving, Cleveland (58)
Ricky Rubio, Minnesota (49)
Kenneth Faried, Denver (46)
Klay Thompson, Golden State (43)
Iman Shumpert, New York (40)
Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio (40)
Brandon Knight, Detroit (40)
Second Team (pints in parenthesis)
Other players receiving votes, with point totals: Markieff Morris, Phoenix, 7; Kemba Walker, Charlotte 7; Alec Burks, Utah 2; Norris Cole, Miami 2; Bismack Biyombo, Charlotte 2; Enes Kanter, Utah 1; Greg Stiemsma, Boston 1; Gustavo Ayon, New Orleans 1; Nikola Vucevic, Philadelphia 1.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18