May 22, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT
The NBA is evolving into more of a point-guard league — if you can’t touch a quick ball handler on the perimeter they are going to carve up any defense. With the rules enforced as they are, Tony Parker can’t guard Tony Parker.
The full lists are below. There are seven guys on the first team because three players — Iman Shumpert, Kawhi Leonard and Brandon Knight — all tied with 40 points. So they all make the first team. It’s like U8 soccer, everybody gets a medal.
I have a few beefs with the voting (done by head coaches, or whichever staff person they pawn the job off on) although nothing major because I can’t get that worked up about this award. Still, how does Kawhi Leonard get the same vote total as Brandon Knight? Shumpert is only in that tie because he played for the Knicks, good defender but second team guy here. Klay Thompson came on late and got recognition, but so did Isaiah Thomas in Sacramento, just nobody noticed.
First Team (points in parenthesis):
Kyrie Irving, Cleveland (58)
Ricky Rubio, Minnesota (49)
Kenneth Faried, Denver (46)
Klay Thompson, Golden State (43)
Iman Shumpert, New York (40)
Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio (40)
Brandon Knight, Detroit (40)
Second Team (pints in parenthesis)
Other players receiving votes, with point totals: Markieff Morris, Phoenix, 7; Kemba Walker, Charlotte 7; Alec Burks, Utah 2; Norris Cole, Miami 2; Bismack Biyombo, Charlotte 2; Enes Kanter, Utah 1; Greg Stiemsma, Boston 1; Gustavo Ayon, New Orleans 1; Nikola Vucevic, Philadelphia 1.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20