LeBron calls Danny Granger’s tactics, technicals “stupid”

May 22, 2012, 2:53 PM EST

Ed Malloy, LeBron James, Danny Granger AP

It took a few games, but now we’re getting some real playoff passion and disgust for the other team going.

For three straight games Danny Granger has gotten in the face of either LeBron James or Dwyane Wade, in an effort to show he and the Pacers were not going to back down from the Heat. In three straight games Granger has picked up a technical for it. It was part of the Pacers overall style to be more physical and to be pesky in this series and get under the Heat’s skin.

LeBron isn’t impressed. From ESPN:

“Whatever he’s trying, it is not working,” James said Tuesday before Game 5. “He’s said he’s not scared of LeBron, I want to let (James) know. I guess he’s doing it for his own psyche. It’s stupid.”

Granger played the “we’re not respected” card.

“That’s a product of the chip on my shoulder and we have on our shoulder as a team of not being respected. That goes not just for this series, but all year. We had the fourth or fifth best record in the NBA and I think we only had one televised game. Three or four teams that didn’t make the playoffs had more televised games than us. It was just a matter of being disrespected nationally.”

This will not be settled like it would be in the NHL playoffs, James said.

“Nobody is fighting on the basketball court. C’mon,” he said. “I’m not going to fight because I mean too much to our team and I can’t afford to be suspended for a game or do something stupid to get thrown out of a playoff game.”

Expect more posturing in Game 5. But LeBron is right in that it’s more for show and self motivation than anything else.

1. ceschatz - May 22, 2012 at 5:57 PM

The lebron haters never cease to amaze me. You do realize youre making yourself look more pathetic than the person youre trying to make lebron out to be, right?

2. furio2929 - May 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM

ceschatz You just got bit by the Danny rant just like Lebron. I don’t hate Lebron , as a matter a fact he is one of the greatest players in the NBA. We are not hating, just stating facts. And in the end, I hope it’s the great Spurs against the heat.

3. Shawn - May 22, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I can’t stand LeBron but I have to side with him here, Granger is just acting like a jealous punk. He is hurting his team by doing it because now Indiana is getting called for tick-tack fouls because the refs are paying closer attention to them. Check out my blog btw!!

4. furio2929 - May 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM

sasquash20 Agreed

5. asuthyo - May 23, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Who looks stupid now!…Oh wait…

6. kavika6 - May 23, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Juwan Howard is the worst of all of them.

7. mr9teen - May 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM

i am so tired of e everyone calling LeBron the best player in the world! what has he done to prove that? 3 MVP’s and no rings. Deep playoff runs and epic flame outs. He has the physical gifts and talents to BE the best player. However he isnt that yet. When he decided to go to Miami he upped that ante. When he speculated that they could win however many championships he put a target on his back that he can’t take off. He should shut up and play and let that do the talking. Just like Kobe did another guy that everyone hated on but has proven his critics wrong. For the record I am not a Kobe fan but I can respect his game a whole lot more that LeBron.

• jimeejohnson - May 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I’ve been watching this game for more than 30 years and have not seen too many with the talent and high basketball intelligence like LeBron. He may not be the best player, but I’d love to hear who YOU think is. You let emotion influence your decision since LeBron had the audacity to predict he would win some titles. Talk is cheap, whether it’s yours, mine, or LeBron’s. How many MVPs has LeBron won? When it comes to individual talent and contribution to your team, nobody is better than LeBron James.

• comeonnowguys - May 29, 2012 at 9:32 AM

He’s unarguably the most physically talented player in the world.

If he ever fixes the wiring problems in his head, he will be unarguably the best player in the world. Because, whether you like it or not, he’s already “one of” them now.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches