Kevin Garnett calls Philadelphia fans “fair weathered”

May 22, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT

Celtics' Garnett reacts after being called for a foul during their NBA Eastern Conference semi-final playoff basketball game against the Philadelphia 76ers in Philadelphia Reuters

Apparently Kevin Garnett thought Sixer fans would not be fired up enough for Game 6 in Philadelphia Wednesday night.

When asked to compare what had been a raucous Garden crowd Monday night to what awaited them in Philly on Wednesday KG decided to take a shot, reports John Finger at CSNPhilly.com.

“Not even close,” Garnett said. “[In Boston] you got fans and [in Philadelphia] you got fair-weather fans. Take that how you want.”

Garnett thrives on a negative environment — remember the Celtics 10-0 run to take control of Game 5 came after Garnett drove the lane and thought he was fouled but instead got an offensive call on himself. He was incensed. Boston’s crowd got into it with a lot of boos after the play was reshown on the jumbotron in the building. And then it was on.

Now he’s getting what he wants on the road.

As for the Boston fans, since KGs arrival and through the Big Three era the Garden has been full and loud. Before that when the team was struggling… well, Boston fans looked pretty fair weathered then, too.

1. Jarred Alexandrov - May 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Check the attendance figures bro. We still supported the celts for those Gerald green years

• Kurt Helin - May 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I saw some of those games, let’s not call the arena full (even if it “sold out”).

• bozosforall - May 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Kurt, how DARE you refute anything that a New England sports fan claims regarding their teams. Don’t you KNOW that they are above reproach? At least that is what their mommies tell them when tucking them in every night in their basement “apartments” below the family home. And please ignore the blatant hypocrisy that they continually exhibit here and elsewhere.

Garnett is delusional if he thinks that Boston fans are any more passionate than Philly fans…or anywhere else for that matter.

• mjbulls45 - May 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM

philly was jumpin during the Allen Iverson years…

Celtics were quiet during those,

no one said anything…

i would also say philly eagles fans are nuts about the squad in a good way, no fronting there either…

• bozosforall - May 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM

No one with a brain believes “attendance figures”. Show me total ticket revenue figures if you want to convince me that they SOLD as many tickets than as they have recently.

• bearclo33 - May 22, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I still have my Jiri Welsch jersey

2. xxshookonexx - May 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Well Philly fans, the only question is does your response call for AAA or C size batteries

• bozosforall - May 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Car

• tfoz5150 - May 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Indoors we just use beer. Too much richochet.

3. illadelphiasphinest - May 22, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Hey KG news flash nobody cares what you have to say anymore. Philly is one of the greatest sports cities in the US. We may not have a ton of championships like other cities but that doesnt mean that our fans are some of the most passionate, loyal, and enthusiastic fans in all of sports. We may have a bad rap for a number of reasons but stuff like that happens everywhere. Pittsburgh a cop had his finger ripped off the other day. KC uears ago a fater n son assulted an ump. Indiana the guy threw a drink at Ron Artest n got beat up. Toronto a beer thrown at an ump last week. LA theres a beating after basically every Dodgers game. This stuff happens all over the country n its a shame that Philly is the only city under the national microscope.

4. b7p19 - May 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Did you see this a$$hole try to ruin Brands season with that kick to the knee after he was crossed over? And people still argue that he’s not dirty. The Celtics are better and should win the series, but my God are they annoying. They got 3 times the foul calls and were STILL arguing about every call against them. Oh well, here’s hoping the Heat pull their crap together and knock them out in the conference finals.

• b7p19 - May 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I will say, he’s pretty unstoppable right now though. He was hitting every tough turnaround he took and it was usually against pretty good defense. It appears Pierce and Allen are just about done, but KG can still bring it. And it’s too bad because i’m real tired of him.

• sasquash20 - May 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM

He can still bring it but he is a very dirty player

• jesweeney11 - May 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Take off your glasses and clean off the confetti of a game 4 victory. Brand totally shook Garnett. Though there was no intent to injure. Brand wasn’t even complaining cause he got the foul call and he didn’t perceive it to be dirty. That was a natural reaction of someone who got toasted, not someone trying to hurt him.

5. pasportyxlc - May 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM

good one KG……we sucked for almost a decade but still have decent attendence……..just play and shut ur piehole….dont be surprised if it goes to 7……btw…..I was kinda bummed nobody mentioned booing santa….LOL…..LOSERS !!!

• tfoz5150 - May 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Get a life.

6. pasportyxlc - May 22, 2012 at 9:56 AM

what a bunch of #*;+%?#

7. rodge1 - May 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I’m not a Philly or Boston fan. With that said, both fan-bases are pretty loyal. KG is just a douchebag. I normally don’t encourage anyone getting hurt but Philly fans should throw all kinds of batteries at him from AAA to car batteries.

8. acdc363 - May 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Just keep up the good work KG no need for bulletin board material

9. rajbais - May 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM

When it comes to the Sixers he is correct!!!

I love Philly and their fans, but they need as much passion for the 76ers as they do the Eagles, Phillies, and Flyers!!!

If there’s admission on Philadelphians’ parts that the Spectrum wasn’t crowded enough during the days of Dr. J, Darryl Dawkins, Moses Malone, Doug Collins, and Mo Cheeks the fanfare needs to get better!!!!

They need to be like the pre-California recession Sacramento Kings fans because they have usually been loud and went crazy with their cowbells!!!

I LOVE THAT!!! THEY WERE THE BEST FANS I EVER SAW!!!

Philly, bring that same intensity!!!!

10. aboogy123456 - May 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Boston is the best example of fair weather fans. Most people i know in boston didn’t even care about the celtics or watch basketball, but when they get the big three everybody became a fan. I’m not sure if Boston fans even watch basketball besides the celtics.

• drewsylvania - May 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM

We’re not fair-weather fans about the Red Sox–but we are about the other teams.

• jtchernak - May 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM

That sir is a very true comment i live in boston and once the patriots go to the superbowl everybody is a fan all of a sudden while i support them throughout the year they only support when they are about to win the championsip and whenever the patriots dont win im still here being a fan while people are bandwagoning the pack or the steelers or the saints same goes for the c’s people love them when there good in the playoffs while im here being a loyal fan

• jtchernak - May 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM

and they all of a sudden love the heat or the thunder especially

11. packhawk04 - May 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM

losers are STILL bitching about the refs.

• drewsylvania - May 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Winners go home and **** the prom queen.

• bozosforall - May 22, 2012 at 3:23 PM

New Englanders go out and **** the drag queens.

• pistolpeatear - May 22, 2012 at 3:26 PM

leave your father out of this

• drewzducks - May 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Or stupid enough to bring up the FT discrepancy. Looking for any excuse possible.

12. wicky888 - May 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Fair weather for the Sixers …… maybe a little, but they have been irrelevent for years now. The Phillies Eagles and Flyers are always sold out.

13. blueblood86 - May 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM

KG is the best

14. giselleisasucubus - May 22, 2012 at 11:53 AM

For all you business experts, not one of you has a business degree, so I would recommend shutting up. The Celtics SEASON TICKET sales were down for awhile, but during that time, the C’s were smart enough to lower prices so people still went to the games. The thing about REAL BOSTON FANS is that they want to be heard when they are mad, so if the team sucks, they go, and let you know how much you suck.

• aboogy123456 - May 22, 2012 at 1:09 PM

attendance isn’t the only thing to look at, I’m sure if you could look at TV ratings it would be a lot more telling. Maybe the real boston fans go to all the games, but for most people in boston, they watch it on TV and probably didn’t watch at all when they weren’t good.

15. holdthemayo123 - May 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Actually, having been to a few games during the lean Celts years, I was pretty surprised how well they could get butts in the seats.

16. highpowered350 - May 22, 2012 at 12:28 PM

2004 Celtics # 20
    76ers # 4

2003 Celtics # 13
    76ers # 4

2002 Celtics # 18
    76ers # 3

Translation is that they both have a fair weathered fanbase. When Celtice have a good team attendance is up and when 76ers had a good team attendance was up but they both bow down to Knick fans who have not won a championship since 1973 and have not been any good since 2000 and yet the last 10 years they have not been lower then #10 in attendance despite some of the most expensive tickets in all of sports.

• patsfiend - May 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Show me a team that does not have down attendance when their team stinks. Neither Celts or Sixers fans are “fair weather” by any stretch of the imagination, but no one wants to pay $350 to take your wife and kid to go see a lousy team get beat. That’s just the way it is, and it should be motivation for ownership to build a better team.

The Sox and Bruins cruised along all half-asses for 15 years because even though they were putting up mediocre teams, people kept coming to the games. I’d love (just once) to see a fan base “boycott” a team that is screwing them over… but it ‘aint going to happen.

Most fair-weather fan base, btw, is in L.A., in my opinion… I think the term “fair weather” was probably invented for SoCal fans.

• highpowered350 - May 23, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Knicks fans show up all the time.

• b7p19 - May 22, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I can agree with that. Plus, the Sixers are clearly the #4 franchise in Philly. Eagles, Phillies, Flyers are all above the Sixers in terms of fan interest. I wouldn’t say thats the case in Boston.

17. j0esixpack - May 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Normally I’d be questioning what the hell KG is doing with this – but as noted in the article he actually THRIVES on having fans boo him – so let’s hope that works.

Meanwhile while I’m not sure I’d call the Sixers fans “fair weathered” I think they do tend to let their displeasure with their team’s play show.

Like KG I actually think the Sixers sometimes play better away than at home, where when they falter they don’t do so well when their own fans are expressing their anger towards their own team (which, as fans, they’ve got a right to do)

So KG may be riling the fans up to express their views either way – by letting KG know they hate him (advantage KG and the Celts) or letting the Sixers know they’re displeased when they go into a slide (as both teams have done from time to time in this series)

Bottom line is that both of these teams are inconsistent and the Celtics are old and beat up.

No matter how it turns out in this series or the next, as a Celtics fan who is surprised that they even made the playoffs this year, this has been a very nice run!

18. patsfiend - May 22, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Well… I’m sure the Philly crowd was going to be loud anyway, but now they will be extra jazzed. It’s true that KG loves playing the villain, though, so maybe this will pump him up.

He wasn’t trying to karate Brand’s knee with that kick. He was trying to kick the ball (which is also a punk move.) He didn’t complain when the foul was called on him. He got beat.

Sixers are a fun team to watch. I don’t see any reason why they can’t be like Indiana next year. Deep, young, good team ball. I notice they hand their heads a lot, though, when they get down by a few points… still young. Iggy’s dunk last night was sick.

• b7p19 - May 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I guess the perception of that kick will depend on what side of the court you are watching the series from, but it certainly wasn’t anywhere near the ball. To me, it’s no better than some of the elbows that have been flying in the other series. Looked like he kicked him out of frustration. Doesn’t matter I guess. The good news is the refs should be on the Sixers side again as we go back to Philly. The NBA is usually good like that (really, bad like that).

• patsfiend - May 22, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Fair enough. Yeah, he kind of lost it a bit, to be objective. I don’t agree with 76ers owner’s comments that KG is generally a “dirty” player, though. Talking junk and grabbing jerseys is different than undercutting and elbowing guys in the head or face. KG is just like Rodney Harrison, hated by opponents, loved by his team.

Re the the refs… I hear you, but really the NBA is SO bad with that.. that they might just want the Celts to pull this one out, for higher ratings in the next round! :-)

• infectorman - May 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM

hang their heads, slump their shoulders, furrow their brows
      ….a lot like ELI MANNING, before he lucked his way into winning the SB.

19. passerby23 - May 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM

It’s hilarious how many people get defensive about their teams and now…their fans. It’s the same in every city. When the team is good, the arenas fill up and the crowd gets more boisterous (with the exception of the Tampa Bay Rays). Do you think OKC’s arena would look and sound the way it did if they were like Charlotte? Stop with the fan loyalty crap. Fans get into it when the team is good and lose interest when the team is bad. They don’t owe the team ticket purchases and cheering for a poor product.

20. bleedgreen4life - May 22, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I live 20 mins out of the Philly sports complex. Sixers may have gotten a few more fans once the playoffs started but their attendance from last season has gone up significantly because they were coming off a 27 win season in 09 to the playoffs in 2010. The Eagles are always sold out. Theres a 10 year waitlist to be a season ticket holder. The Phillies got a lot of fans after they won the world series in 08. Not saying they’re all bandwagoners. They’ve sold out almost every game since then. And the Flyers…I dont know because I don’t watch hockey anymore. Seems like they’re always sold out too. Its plain and simple if the team sucks no one is going to pay to watch them. All 4 philly teams are very relevant right now so ofcourse they are going to sell out a lot. We like teams that are hardworking and take no BS. It’s the blue-collar mentality. As for KG, worry about your own damn fans and stop talking smack because you won’t be around for the next decade when the Sixers are running that division.

21. rajbais - May 22, 2012 at 1:57 PM

They actually need to be more like the pre-California recession Sacramento Kings fans because they have usually been loud and went crazy with their cowbells!!!

I LOVE THAT!!! THEY WERE THE BEST FANS I EVER SAW!!!

Philly, bring that same intensity!!!!

• patsfiend - May 22, 2012 at 4:47 PM

That Kings team was also pretty good, btw. That doesn’t hurt.

• rajbais - May 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Yes, but out of 25 years 19 of them had sellouts every game!!!! Did they win all the time during 19 of those years????

Reggie Theus and Kenny Smith played for bad Kings teams in the 1980’s, but they have talked about how awesome, unstoppable, and supportive the fans were!!!

• patsfiend - May 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I really hope they stay in Sac-town, believe me. The last thing L.A. needs is another team. You guys need a local internet billionaire not named Maloof to step up and save the team, like Kraft did for the Patriots.

• rajbais - May 26, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I don’t live in Sacramento. I am from and still live in Chicago.

I hate our fans because I think that they’re a bunch of seat-filling lame asses!!!!

They have NO volume regardless of how much they scream!!!

I think the OKC fans are the best ones today because the best way to define fanfare is how loud and often you will scream for your team!!!! Not jerseys, tickets, merchandise, or Google searches; it’s volume of your crowd’s voices and screams!!!!!!!

22. mclovinhockey - May 22, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Basketball is a 4th sport in Philly. I walked around Boston and tried to talk baseball and hockey and found a lot of people in Boston do not know much about sports outside of Boston. In 2009 a Boston fan told me the phillies sucked, I said we won the world series last year. He paused for a moment and then said well they suck this year. I responded we are in first in the league right now and you guys are currently 10 games out of the playoffs. The guy and his friends turned around and left. The next day I wore a flyers jersey in a sports bar. A guy asked me what sport that jersey was for. Boston loves its teams I give them that, but they don’t know much about the sports themselves.

23. HitsDingers - May 22, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I lived in Boston for 5 years. No one knows the Patriot’s HC before Belichick, no one can name a Celtics HC between Red (or Russell if they’re savvy) and Doc. It’s a joke calling them good sports fans just because they’re loud a-holes. It’s like calling Stephen A a great basketball mind.

• bearclo33 - May 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Dumb comment by a dumb animal. You must have lived in Cambridge you twerp. And is KG really saying anything that isnt true? I think the real problem is Phillymay be jealous of Bostons success due to the fact that the city is arguably the best sports town (4 teams) in US history.

• infectorman - May 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM

You are completely clueless….
      Off the top:
      Bill Fitch, KC Jones, Tommy Heinson, Chris Ford, ML Carr, Dave Cowens, Jim Obrien
      Rod Rust, Bill Parcells, Raymond Berry, Pete Carroll, Dick MacPherson, Ron Meyers

You are either under 25 years old, or hung around with a bunch of Cambridge tree-hugging, jetta drivin, daisy’s.
      Doesn’t’ sound like your “crew” had any clue….

• patsfiend - May 22, 2012 at 8:44 PM

It took him 5 years to graduate… that’s all you need to know.

Dick MacPherson… I was searching for that one in my head. I could see him there in my mind, in his oldness, looking like a nice-confused old man. Dark days, indeed.

It’s funny how you remember the coaches who were around when you were “coming of age”… for me those coaches we Berry, Jones, McNamara/Morgan, and kind of Millbury for the B’s (who now is on TV every night.)

Before the dark ages, there was the other previous “Boston Pinnacle” in the late 80’s… all the teams were pretty good then, too… with the Bruins lagging a bit. That only lasted a couple years though (unlike the current run.) That’s the period that looped me in, and I’ll always remember it.

• bozosforall - May 22, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Wow. It only took you FOUR hours to look that up on the Internet? The only ones with no clue are you idiot New England chumps, AIDSinfectedman.

• HitsDingers - May 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM

1) I am 25
      2) “No one” was clearly an exaggeration
      3) Definitely graduated college in 4 years
      4) Twice as many people agree with me than disagree with me (so far)

Sorry Beantown, but you’re the second worst sports city I’ve ever lived in.

5) NOT a compliment to be a better sports town than Miami

• infectorman - May 23, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Well son:
        1) I am 25 — easily called and YOU SOUND IT
        2) “No one” was clearly an exaggeration – Exaggeration
        doesn’t translate well on the internet.
        3) Definitely graduated college in 4 years — 5th years was spent polling local NE residents about which Pro NE area coaches they knew, I’m sure

4) Twice as many people agree with me than disagree with me (so far)— Right, because a story about KG being an A-HOLE is SURELY a place to find unbiased readers ..

Nice try, buddy, but you are INDEED completely clueless. Not surprising being the tender young age of 25.
        Do yourself a favor: Try not to be the other dreg Haters on this site who write and comment as though they know the first thing about NE sports but have never lived, grown up or spent any real time in the area. BTW, 5 years ain’t long enough to know an area or the people in it. You’ll just come off as you just did; clueless and naive. For some people its too late….
        You? You’re young and have much growing up to do yet. Hopefully Mommy and Daddy got their money’s worth springing for BC or Stonehill College.
        From the sounds of it, their “investment” in you is off to a shaky start…

• HitsDingers - May 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM

- saying someone sounds 25 is a terrible insult
        – exaggeration translates fine on the internet for people of at-least-average intelligence. the phrase you’re trying to think of is sarcasm doesn’t translate well on the internet
        – it doesn’t take that many trips to sports bars to learn that the vast majority of Celtic/Pats fans are so bandwagon they carry tubas to the games (let alone a whole year)
        – i’d think a story with “Kevin Garnett” as the first two words would attract a decent number of celtic fans
        – the notion you can’t know a place in 5 years is kind of insane. unless you actually have a mental disability, which would explain a lot
        – i really hope i’m the only person you call “son,” because the only thing worse than a loud a-hole is an old know-it-all loud a-hole
        – i apologize for you having to walk 5 miles uphill in the snow to and from school every day. back in the day.

24. kavika6 - May 23, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Save that smack talk for the Finals, Garnet. Your trash talk will go in one of Tim Duncan’s ears and out the other as he’s schooling you.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches